Author Topic: log me in  (Read 1316 times)

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
log me in
« on: August 18, 2013, »
Sometimes it would be easier for someone to see first hand at the setup or the issues we have ( like me ) with certain program issues. I've been fighting with lsp for sometime now and would it be wise to let someone  log into your computer with something like log me in and see the settings and conflicts that we are having? It would make things so much simpler rather than trying to explain it.  Just a thought.
Its the most wonderful time of the year.

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
Re: log me in
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Sometimes it would be easier for someone to see first hand at the setup or the issues we have ( like me ) with certain program issues. I've been fighting with lsp for sometime now and would it be wise to let someone  log into your computer with something like log me in and see the settings and conflicts that we are having? It would make things so much simpler rather than trying to explain it.  Just a thought.

you can also use teamviewer. it is what i use for the weekly nutcracker tutorials.

go.teamviewer.com. It is free and has no limits on users or restrictions on functionality
screen display
voice over ip
video
whiteboard
filesharing

teamviewer is a commercial product, i think around $500/pc, they decided they could get more market share by releasing it free for non commercial users.

i have been pleased with its performance and features.

sean
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, »
Wow. Thanks for the tidbit... :)

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, »
I think that teamspeak is a better idea.  This way, many can get involved and see what is going on.  Remote login gives the other person control which is all well and good unless the system crashes and becomes corrupted.  Then who gets the blame?
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, »
I think that teamspeak is a better idea.  This way, many can get involved and see what is going on.  Remote login gives the other person control which is all well and good unless the system crashes and becomes corrupted.  Then who gets the blame?
if I were to let someone on my computer, it would be no ones fault but my own. That's a chance I would take.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, by sirloinofbeef001 »

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, »
I use logmein all the time to access customers computers.  i set up a separate account with a separate user name and password for my sequencing computer awhile back and had someone else connect up and go thru my LSP configuration.  That was well worth it and helped me to understand LSP a lot better.  That being said, I never used LSP because I wanted to reuse my old sequences and at that time I had a lot of issues trying to convert my vixen stuff to LSP.  Today that process is a lot better understood and documented, but I have not yet taken the time to go back and try it again.  But I am thinking of doing that for this coming season.  Also looking at Vixen 3 and Vixen plus.  Some many choices, so little time......
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, »
+1 for Teamviewer.

I have it on my computers, smart phone, tablet. Plus my parents and in-laws computers so I can remote help them when needed (think 70's age adults that are not into computers). I surprise my co-workers as I print out a AutoCad document on my office computer from my phone while down the hallway standing next to the network printer. That was a fun moment.

I used logmein in the past but got away from it for some reason that I don't remember.

Rick R.

Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, »
I used logmein in the past but got away from it for some reason that I don't remember.
Rick R.

Is that a 70s thing also?  I'm over 70 and use them all, but then I have been in the technology business since computer only had 16kb.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, »
+1 for Teamviewer.

I have it on my computers, smart phone, tablet. Plus my parents and in-laws computers so I can remote help them when needed (think 70's age adults that are not into computers). I surprise my co-workers as I print out a AutoCad document on my office computer from my phone while down the hallway standing next to the network printer. That was a fun moment.

Rick R.

Logmein is just harder to use. Doesn't let you transfer file. Doesn't let you hear sound. etc etc etc without grabbing your walled

I too have Teamviewer on all my PCs and it's great to sit downstairs and be able to login to any system in the house.

Teamviewer application lets you login easier, add more logins easily etc.

Teamviewer lets you also help someone that doesn't want to install a client very easily.

NO I don't work for them.  :) I just have used both and this is just my opinion and experience.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, »
Rick R.

Is that a 70s thing also?  I'm over 70 and use them all, but then I have been in the technology business since computer only had 16kb.

Of course not. my parents and in-laws are not into technology and they require help.

No age offense was meant by my post.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, »
I'm a puter illiterate. I used log me in as an example. That's how my sons fixes mine.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, »
Rick R.

Of course not. my parents and in-laws are not into technology and they require help.

No age offense was meant by my post.

Rick R.

Rick, I was just picking on your "I don't remember" line.  I agree that most older folks are not into technology although I have been very surprised by some of them and also by some much younger ones that are also very low tech.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA