Author Topic: LOR and smart strings  (Read 3883 times)

Offline gsxrgirl7

LOR and smart strings
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2012, »
I've been able to setup the network stuff just fine, but getting the channel numbering down so I can program the ssc's with the right numbers do the LOR will actually talk to them is where I am stuck, and still can't get it straight in my head...  I have been able to get one string to talk under one universe, but beyond that is where I get scatterbrained.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"
Helen Keller

Offline CW

Re: LOR and smart strings
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, »
My experience last year was S3 with PixelNet programed to aux A network in S3 and that  went to COM 5 which had a Lynx dongle with PixelNet loaded.  And then I used Xlights to steer the networks and schedule the show. I had a total of 500 channels of smartstrings so it fit within 1 universe. I used unit 1 ID and 500 channels within that unit and it worked well.  When I experimented with unit 2 and and carrying on within the same aux A network this year, I had issues with cross talk.

So I changed to using 16 channels per unit on aux A and I am finding this to work better for the additional channels added of smartstrings.  Initial tests went well but since The Academy, I am adding a smartstring mega tree similar to the one RJ had setup there and have not tested that yet.  Hope to do so by this weekend.

I had hopes of using Etherdongle with S3 but I don't see that you can point a aux network to the E1.31. It only seams to be available in the DMX tab.  And that may be the way to do it, I just went down a different path, because I found it easier to use LOR add RGB device. I am good with Xlights so keep that in your back pocket as an alternate option.

Craig

Offline tbone321

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I've been able to setup the network stuff just fine, but getting the channel numbering down so I can program the ssc's with the right numbers do the LOR will actually talk to them is where I am stuck, and still can't get it straight in my head...  I have been able to get one string to talk under one universe, but beyond that is where I get scatterbrained.

I don't know how S3 works but there has to be a way to assign channels across multiple E1.31 universe.  Whatever way it does it is obviously how you will do it.  As for the smart strings, they are addreses in standard Pixelnet universes.  The physical address number of the device doesn't have to be the same as the channel number in the software.  The EhterDongle assembles 8 of these E1.31 "universes" into one Pixelnet universe in sequential order starting with the dot 1 address.  There should be no need to skip any channels.  I don't know how S3 addresses multiple E1.31 universes but whatever way you address channel 1 on E1.31 universe 2, the pixelnet address is 513 on the device and address 1 on E1.31 universe 3 is 1025 on the pixelnet side.  If you exceed 8 E1.31 universes then remember that you will also be starting back on channel 1 universe 2 on the pixelnet side which means that channel 1 on E1.31 universe 9 is channel 1 universe 2 (the second pair) on the pixelnet side.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2012, »
I am intrested to see how this shakes out. I just updated my S3 (ver. 3.70). Comming up on having to pay my annual fee to keep up dating. I have a ETD and an active hub but have not ordered any lights..... <fp. Can't seem to make up my mind how to proceed and due to other hobbies and life in general, I am not changing the show this year. All the sequences I have were done with LOR and it seems a dunting task to sequence them all. I would like to do a flex strip tree and window and house outline... I guess I just need a push to make the jump.
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2012, »
I'm hoping that whoever figures it out will create a how to video.  I'm sure there are plenty of us who started with LOR and don't want to go through the pain to convert if we can use what we have.

Offline monkey141

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2012, »

So I am a LOR user and really like the software and did not want to change mostly because of learning curves and the inability to reuse existing work I have done with the LOR stuff. So here is the setup I am using and hopefully it helps you. I do not yet have any lights that work with the SSC's to put a video together but would happy to do so when I get the lights. Hopefully they will be here in the next week or two.

Anyway, I currently have 4 LOR controllers and have added 4 expresses and a whole bunch of smart strings. For simplicity, I am going to leave the expresses out of the conversation and just talk about how I have done the smart strings. I have an etherdongle flashed with the Pixelnet firmware. So that means I have 4 pixelnet universes of 4096 channels available to me. (A quick note, you probably know this by know, but you won't find anything in LOR that references pixelnet.) That equates to 32 DMX universes in LOR. (8 DMX universes per pixenet universe)

So to configure this in LOR  go into the channel configuration click add controller. Change the device type to dmx universe, set the universe to 1 and channels to 512 (or less if you are only using less). Pixelnet channel 1 is dmx universe 1 channel 1. Pixelnet channel 2 is dmx universe channel 2 and so on, up to 512. Because the etherdongle supports 4x4096 I can keep adding 512 channel universes in LOR up to 32. So Pixelnet channel 513 in LOR is DMX universe 2, Channel 1. Just add a second DMX universe and a third and so on.

Does that make sense? If some screen shots of the channel configurator would help, I can post some.

Also, there is obviously some network configuration you need to do to make this work, but it sounds like you have that piece worked out already...

Mike
Mike
Fair Lawn, NJ

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2012, »
Every bit of information like this is very helpful. Screen shots would be helpful I'm sure.  A video of the setup and it working I'm sure would be awesome when someone has a setup with lights.

Offline gsxrgirl7

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2012, »
Ok so next question here is when programming them thru the utility tool do you program your ssc's for say the one that will start on channel 513, do you program that for actual channel 513 or do you start it back over at channel 1 since it will be a dif universe but a new channel one within the utility tool? 
Helen Keller

Offline tbone321

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2012, »
That's the trick.  Unless you exceed 8 sequential DMX Universes, you remain in the same Pixelnet Universe so the channel number of the Pixelnet device continues beyonf 512 up to 4096.  In your example, you program the Pixelnet device with an address of 513.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline monkey141

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2012, »
Every bit of information like this is very helpful. Screen shots would be helpful I'm sure.  A video of the setup and it working I'm sure would be awesome when someone has a setup with lights.

Jeffl,

Sorry, I would normally have just posted that, but I am on vacation and not in a great position to do so. I can as soon as I get back next Monday. I just wanted to provide some help from what I knew off the top of my head.

Mike
Mike
Fair Lawn, NJ

Offline monkey141

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2012, »
Ok so next question here is when programming them thru the utility tool do you program your ssc's for say the one that will start on channel 513, do you program that for actual channel 513 or do you start it back over at channel 1 since it will be a dif universe but a new channel one within the utility tool?

You got it. Start over at Universe 2, Channel 1 for pixelnet 513. For Pixelnet 1025, Universe 3, Channel 1. Every 512 channels creates a different universe in LOR. Using the etherdongle, you won't go over 32 universes.

I found it easier to sort of forget about pixelnet. Just look at the etherdongle (flashed with pixelnet firmware) as a DMX device capable of controlling 32 universes of 512 channels. As soon as I get back from vacation I will take some screen shots and post them.

Hopefully this helps.

Mike
Mike
Fair Lawn, NJ

Offline gsxrgirl7

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2012, »
Thanks, looking forward to your screen shots as well!  Just out of curiosity!!
Helen Keller

Offline monkey141

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2012, »
Thanks, looking forward to your screen shots as well!  Just out of curiosity!!

Ok back from vacation. Here are some screen shots.

I attached one for PixelNet Channel 1, 512 and 513. You would continue to increment the universe number every 512 channels.

Hopefully these help. If not, let me know and I will see what else I can share to help clear things up.

Mike
Fair Lawn, NJ