Author Topic: Smart String Hub trace help  (Read 938 times)

Offline keitha43

Smart String Hub trace help
« on: January 29, 2012, »
I am pretty sure only RJ can answer this. Before the season I did something stupid and picked up my power supply by the cord and of course as I walked past my hub the cord came loose. The edge of the power supply damaged the 2nd small chip and socket closest to the power inputs on the left side of the board. Because of that I don't get outputs the 2nd row vertically of ethernet sockets. The 1st, 3rd, and 4th rows work fine. I tried replacing the socket and chip and it didn't help. They were working before that accident. My guess is either the capacitor below it or trace damage. Can someone tell me where each of the 8 legs of the chip under the "D"  in DiyLightAnimation.com can be jumpered to? Or if someone thinks it is the capacitor or some other component preventing that row from working.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: Smart String Hub trace help
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, »
Are there any marks on the board, either burns or scrapes. I'd look at that first.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline keitha43

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, »
I think I may trace damage which is why I needed a schematic to test jumpering the legs of the chip to eliminate that. The trace damage happened when desolding the damaged chip. But the only obvious one I fixed.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, »
the chip, cap, and 4 fuses run to that row.
have you checked the fuses for continuity?
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline keitha43

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, »
Okay I finally figured out where all the traces go and I had 5 of the 8 pins that needed jumpering. That is what happens when you only have a cheap suction device and metal braid to desolder a socket like I did last November. Now I have the RadioShack desoldering tool which works much better. Also thanks to chrisatpsu for reminding me to check my fuses as I apparently did blow 1 of the 4 during my attempted repair last November. Time to order more spares.