Author Topic: Vehicles interfering with Tx  (Read 3202 times)

Offline Brad

• Patron Member
Vehicles interfering with Tx
« on: December 03, 2009, »
As you may know, I am doing a display on 2 houses this year, (why do I do this to myself??)
Anyhoo...My Tx is about 7' off the ground on the fascia trim facing north. ExRx is about 5' off the ground facing south on fascia trim. Both are mounted antenna down. There is clear line of sight between the units.
Last night I noticed when a car stopped to look, neighbors lights quit blinking. I had the car pull forward about 20', so it wasn't between Tx & ExRx lights started to work. Backing up again, lights went out.
I experienced the same problem when moving our car into the driveway before shut-down, neighbors lights went out. Our car was not between Tx, ExRx rather next to Tx. About 6- 8 feet away, engine off.
I'm going to move them to the other side of the trim so the lid of boxes are facing the street and each other.
I welcome any other suggestions.
(Both devices are completely stock, RJ recommended parts. No mods.)

Brad
2007- 32 Ch Grinch, >6K lights...2008- 128 Ch Freestyle, 23,000 Lights, 2009- Lynx Freestyle & Lynx Express, 26K Lights....Wife thinks I'm nuts!

Offline OkieJay

Re: Vehicles interfering with Tx
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, »
Please let me know what you find out.  I will be doing 3 houses in my court next year and cars stopping between the TX and RX units will happen.  I will be able to put the TX about 15' high in a tree in my front yard, but the RXs will be at no more than 8'.  Should be OK for cars, but large SUVs and trucks will be close.  Any info you can pass on will be appreciated.

Jay 

Offline Brad

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, »
Okie,

Yes I'll post right here, whatever I wind up doing to fix the problem.
I was really bummed, not to mention my neighbors disappointment, when I discovered this. :'(
Her Christmas lights depend on it.

Brad
2007- 32 Ch Grinch, >6K lights...2008- 128 Ch Freestyle, 23,000 Lights, 2009- Lynx Freestyle & Lynx Express, 26K Lights....Wife thinks I'm nuts!

Offline blearning

• Sound of Light
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, »
I had the same issue,   

My recipe for success.
make sure both RX and TX are working correctly I had one that was a little weak, likely the way I cut it. 

6 foot 2 by 4 about the size of the average SUV.

a laser light

and a large pole. 

since one of the RX was on a hill I lifted it well above the 6 foot mark.

Then I used the laser light and shot it up into the trees,  duct tape worked well to hold it into place.  Then I took my makeshift SUV the 6 foot 2 by 4 and checked to see I was well above that with my laser. 

remember, the wavelength is kind of mushroom at the top.  I'm not sure exactly what height it would be but the strong point is in the mushroom

Once I got the height I needed I made up a pole with my transmitter on and wired it to the bottom of the pole.  SO I could move it without taking it all apart.   Pounded a rebar in and set the pole on it ...  So far so good.

once placed ... away from trees, buildings, lights I got the range I needed
Merry Lightmass
Bill  AKA blearning AKA BL

Offline Brad

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, »
blearning,

how for are you broadcasting? How high are your Tx Rx devices?
I'm trying to go less than 100'. I went home at lunch and put both devices on the front fascia so they are facing one another. Didn't help.
Then I stopped my pickup in front and roughly measure the dead spot. It's about 16' wide, give or take.

Brad

Offline blearning

• Sound of Light
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
blearning,

how for are you broadcasting? How high are your Tx Rx devices?
I'm trying to go less than 100'. I went home at lunch and put both devices on the front fascia so they are facing one another. Didn't help.
Then I stopped my pickup in front and roughly measure the dead spot. It's about 16' wide, give or take.

Brad

Broadcasting about 300 feet, but anywhere in between 20 and 300.

My tx is mounted on a 10' pole so 10 feet, the rx add on modules are varying heights of 2 to 6 feet. 

I doctored mine a little buy mounting them in a 1000 broadband box.   

here is something to try ... lay it on the ground ... with your antenna parallel  with the ground ... then go to you rx and put it on the ground the same way ...  this will give you sort of an ARCH UP and out ... theoretically .. more like half a bubble on the ground ...

the TX is really is omni directional except as noted, and the RX is as well.   not really directional in the direct sense of the word.  Sorry ...

Here is another method:

Place you RX somewhere, doesn't matter how or where.
then go back to your TX and rotate your TX until you get the best sporadic.  Less sporadic is better

now go back to your RX and rotate it as well.  vertically and horizontally.   once you get that best .. back to your TX and tune it a little more. 

If you can't get more then a couple hundred feet, I would suggest looking at the device itself.  They are pretty efficient ... but since I hadn't look at the spec sheet to see the wave form and other good facts it is more or less trial and error. 

You could also get a ground plane.   A cookie sheet with an alligator clip on it attached to ground.  Set this UNDER your transmitter / receiver.   Theoretically again it should push the Wave up and out not DOWN. 

Let's keep playing with them we will find the sweet spot ...
Merry Lightmass
Bill  AKA blearning AKA BL

Offline Brad

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, »
blearning

Thanks for the tips. I'll try a few tonight.

Brad

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, »
I have my transmitter about 10' off the ground in a tree.

Bill

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, »
Yes when you are using microwave it will not go around or through stuff well so you have to clear the cars. And with some room do to the fensel zone effect that acts on microwaves.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Brad

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, »
Well, I moved the Rx closer to the street and screwed it to a tree about 7' high. Tested signal with not 1 but 2 vehicles side by side. Works perfect, not one blink...no I mean...err...ahh ;D
Works Great.
I may do more testing this weekend because the cars were small. If I get a church bus viewing the show, like in the past there could be problems.

Brad

Offline ron d

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, »
I have run the wireless for a few nights and once i terminated the rgb fixture that had a flash its been flawless here. I have some minor branches in the way and also 1 just barely has a direct line of sight.
i havnt left the receivers  outside yet and dont run them in the rain as they are just for the lights on other houses or in my tree out back.
 Anyone weather proof these any more then they already are?

Offline Brad

• Patron Member
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, »
I used the RJ approved boxes and mounted the port down to keep rain/snow out <fingers crossed>

Brad

Offline abell

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2009, »
You might check to see if you are getting the correct voltage from that power supply. I know your problem might have been fixed. With 5 years experienced at RadioShack DC adaptors are usually the problem. I can't remember at the moment, and I am too lazy to walk to ther otherside of the house, but I think its a 9v output for that TX.

I had some issues when I set everything up, and I was getting a crappy signal when I split power from a LE to power both a LE and the TX. So I got my converter and ran the whole thing (laptop and TX) out of my car and still had issues with TX. I finally set everything up in my house ensured the voltage of the DC adaptor and I duct-tape the whole thing to my living room window towards the top.

The secret is I stayed below my 60% continuous circuit draw, and the outlet I chose was noise-filtered. A good/strong/clean source of power is essential for TX of a wireless data signal. This also applies to my FM transmitter, I was getting real noise until I put an AC noise-filter on the outlet. (Its a noise-filter by monster, I've met the founder/CEO of that company and now greatly respect their product and their purpose.)

The only issue I have now are mini-vans parked directly accross my culdesac. Even then I still have blinky its just lagged.

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2009, »
Remember that the new TX/RX will have twice the Transmit power of the current Transmitter.

Offline deweycooter

• Patron Member
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2010, »
Do you think it would be a problem to run leads off LE wireless pins so the Rx could be located elsewhere, leaving the LE in its original location?