Author Topic: WIRELESS DMX PROJECT UPDATE  (Read 60472 times)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
WIRELESS DMX PROJECT UPDATE
« on: July 19, 2008, »
I am far enough along on this project I felt it was time to put some info out on it.

I am beta testing and working the bugs out of the wireless DMX project. It appears as it will be a successful project and I hope to run all wireless DMX in the show this year.

So far testing has the range at in excess of 1000 ft from my home with the transmitter inside on the workbench.

It also appears that 512 channels at 50ms will work fine.

The transmitter unit appears as if it will run about $55 (maybe less) without a case.

The Reciever that outputs the DMX looks like it will run about $30 without a case.

Both units are really really small.

The recievers put out all 512 channels of the dmx universe and there is no limit to how many recievers you can use.

So it uses one transmitter and how ever many of recievers. Put one where every you do not wish to run cat5.

Think of the Recievers as DMX dongles with out USB cables. they work the same way they make dmx but do not need to be connected to the computer.

They will have RJ45 outputs just like the dongle but no USB jacks so they will retrofit to all the current DMX equipment on DLA.

There is a new Plugin for vixen that I created to make this all work and it just drops in the plugin folder of vixen and then you change you seqence to use it instead of the enttec DMX plugin to use the wireless system.

I can not say when it will be ready for public release but I can say I expect to be using it in the show this year as a beta test. If testing in the coming months go well it may be made availiable for a few beta testers for this year and most likely fully released after xmas and the real testing has completed if all works well as I expect.

Hope this fills in some of the holes.

RJ
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, by rrowan »
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline knguyen916

Re: WIRELESS DMX PROJECT UPDATE
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, »
omg you did not post this  :'( I WANT IT. Geez. GJ. Glad to hear it's working out nicely

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, »
Greetings,

Okay, let's get the pleasantries out of the way.  Beta Tester!  (or not...)

Actually could use this, but how many universes can be run in parallel?  Ah, hah!  Haven't tested that, have you.  Makes me the perfect candidate for betas.  :-)  Could put this to use in at least 3 areas, simultaneously.  If you are still looking at the same type wireless as once mentioned, then it would be interesting to see the maximum number of universes capable, along with whatever other possible wireless interference was around.

Seriously watching this.  Since you're teasing us, expect questions.  lol...

Keith

"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, »
An easy question.......     If you half the number of channels being used on a single universe,  can you  increase the speed (i.e. from 50ms to 25ms) ?   

Larry

3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012

Offline grages

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, »
WOW!

This is Tremendous news!  Great work as always RJ.

Shawn
"A polar bear is just a rectangular bear after a coordinate transform"

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, »
knguyen916  > omg you did not post this  :  Yes I did but not sure why you are crying?

keith > Actually could use this, but how many universes can be run in parallel?   1 per transmitter but have not checked how many transmitters will work together yet as I am not that far. 2 for sure, but this is not the one you are thinking of that we have spoke of. This is a wireless for the 1024 channels and under group (majority of us) and is one step to the wireless Lynx where this will be integrated to the unit for a cost savings instead of an extra cost.  (next year)) The 802.11 multiuniverse much more expensive unit would use some of the work I have done here and be different. But of course I need this setup for me. As I need a number of cheap recievers in a number of places to get rid of cat5 instead of a unit with more universes in one unit that cost much more. Hope I explianed that OK.

moose >  If you half the number of channels being used on a single universe,  can you  increase the speed (i.e. from 50ms to 25ms) ?    I believe you can reduce your channel count and run 25ms. The split would not be an even 1/2 is twice as fast though, so it will take testing to answer more than what I have said.

grages > This is Tremendous news!  Thanks but lets hold off too much excitement until a little more testing is done. There could still be bumps in the road on it.

So everyone understands this is not ready to ship. My post is more of a "The Technology appears to work" kind of thing it does appears as if it will be a useable system to meet the goals for this project. These goals were as follows :

Single Full DMX Universe over wireless at 50ms.
 Cheap enough recievers to be able to afford enough to do away with cat5 in a show.
 Transmitter that connects USB and is under $70 to build.
 Range of a least 500 ft to insure it is a usable system in the real world.
 Works with Vixen (Of Course).
 Could run the shows we already have with no changes.
 Average DLA user can build with little effort.
 Backwards compatable to be used on current equipment.
 Able to be incorporated into a Lynx cheaply.
 And of course the most important one: "Be Cool enough that everyone wants them!"    ;D

There is another possible project looming for wireless that kieth is after that has different goals. they are :

Handle many uiniverses at the same time.  (4,6,8,10,12,...)
 25ms on each universe.
 Works over your 802.11 wireless network.
 Works with Vixen
 Be compatable with current equipment.

This setup is in many ways easier to create I think (I have ideas on it) It is just more expensive and did not really meet the needs for me so I went this way first.

RJ 

Offline grages

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

grages > This is Tremendous news!  Thanks but lets hold off too much excitement until a little more testing is done. There could still be bumps in the road on it.

I always expect bumps in the road, but I can't help but get excited.

Shawn
"A polar bear is just a rectangular bear after a coordinate transform"

Offline knguyen916

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, »
knguyen916  > omg you did not post this  :  Yes I did but not sure why you are crying?

;D I'm crying because I don't have it and will have to wait so long for it to become production

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, »
Progress continues steady and with the positive outcomes I have had. (I have Wireless DMX running some Lynx stuff.) I have decide to take it to the next level to make it obsolete resistant. I am attempting to make the system multi universe. This would give us expansion capabilities for us so we do not out date the system too quickly. I am shooting for 4 universes (2048 channels @ 25ms) appears to be workable.

I came up with a elegant way to interface it to any true DMX systems with out modifactions. It works with all of the Lynx stuff and Aussie Phils DMX stuff.  You will not need to solder or mod your boards to use it.

You will set a jumper on each reciever to which Universe it is to work on and it will kick out that universe of DMX. You can run more than one reciever per universe and so this give you some real flexibilty to you layouts.

I have much work to do yet but it is coming together.

RJ

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, »
So   (dreaming of the future here)  ..  based on what you've said,  the wireless system could be as shown here?

Larry
3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, »
Remove all but one transmitter and you got it.    ;D

RJ

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, »
If one used a different controller program that Vixen will this wireless unit still work?

Tom

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, »
If one used a different controller program that Vixen will this wireless unit still work?

Tom

No.

RJ

Offline Aussiephil

• My Controllers
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, »
How about this conceptual diagram RJ?

cheers
Phil
Never enough time
Dont Forget - "Play Nicely"

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, »
this is correct but you could have universes of all Lynx II with no reciever needed since each we have its own.

RJ