Author Topic: SSC DMX Firmware?  (Read 2000 times)

Offline lightingboy82

SSC DMX Firmware?
« on: February 14, 2012, »
I know that the SSC uses pixelnet as its protocol, for the main reason of channel counts.  IF it were to take DMX input it would be severely limited in the amount of channels it could use.  Hence the entire reason for pixelnet to exist in the first place.

That being said, The lighting controller i use is not capable (yet) of outputting E1.31, and cannot see a USB dongle.  Can firmware be written that would take a regular DMX signal into the SSC? again noting that it has a limit of 512ch per universe.  Using a passive hub to inject the power to the SSC?

Please understand i think the pixelnet protocol is amazing, and want to use it, but for the moment, with the equipment i own, i cannot get the proper information to a Etherdongle or USB dongle.  I do however have a ton of universes of dmx (via my artnet router) available, and the controller manufacturer is working on E1.31, but don't have a date for release.

I also understand that writing new firmware isnt as simple as it sounds, i wish i knew how to myself.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: SSC DMX Firmware?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, »
Most likely, there won't be a dmx version for the ssc, your best bet is to get a lynx Dongle, or lynx etherdongle
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline lightingboy82

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, »
i have a USB lynx dongle, and plan to get an etherdongle in the next coop i can get into, but the problem for me is my controller (light board) doesn't support the lynx products.  It is supposed to support E1.31 "soon".  I don't use vixen, LOR, xlights etc. because i am an entertainment lighting programmer, and already own a console, the type used in rock concerts and in theaters.  But i do understand asking for dmx firmware is a long shot.

Offline rm357

SSC DMX Firmware?
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, »
I'm not sure if the ssc hardware would even support it without modification.

The DMX signal has a sync marker that causes framing errors on a normal serial port. The normal solution is to use an input pin to look for the sync marker then use the serial port to receive the data. If the input pin has not been wired up, then you tend to have problems with the sync, which sometimes results in the data being one channel off...

The other thing is someone would have to write the firmware. Generally speaking, the developers do not release the source code...

One last item, it is DLA rule that the hardware here is not to be used in a commercial setting. There are lots of reasons that have already been discussed in other threads...

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline lightingboy82

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, »
yeah i know the issues about writing the firmware. thanks for the info on the possible hardware issues, i wasn't sure of that either- if it was as "simple" as new firmware, or required hardware changes as well.  I am not using it for commercisal purposes, i just have a commercial lighting console.  None of the DLA stuff is/ will be used outside of my home- well almost all of it will be used outside my home, but not off my personal property.

Again, i understand that even if the only issue is writing firmware, that is a large task in itself, and therefore may not ever happen, but if it could, that'd be nice :) *begs the software gods*

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

this device can run smart strings from a dmx signal.
it can only run 1 string, costs over $30 (before shipping) and requires a big enough 12v power supply to what size string you're using. doesn't support hybrid, or string modes, and depending on how many universes your controller can handle, one string, takes up a majority of a dmx universe (hence, the reason what pixelnet is important)

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, »
oh yeah, it's not waterproof either

Offline lightingboy82

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, »
as soon as martin gets E1.31 going on their consoles, this thread will be dead, but i have no idea when that will happen.  Universes are not a problem for me, i have 64 available.  I was just looking to see IF it could be done, and if so, who i would have to brib to make it happen  :P 

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, »
Looking at an SSC, it uses an RS485 transceiver, so it should not require hardware changes to handle DMX.  It would, however, requre new firmware, and thus RJ's time...
/mike

Offline lightingboy82

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, »
thanks mike! now...to brib RJ  >:D

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, »
I think Chris' advice on using another DMX controlled TM1804 controller might be the best option, but still limiting.

I've wondered what this 8 port device that Ray sells is for?

At the end of the day, your application is so unique, that it really doesn't make sense for anyone to write custom firmware for it.  I've seen your setup and its way COOL ... but just totally out in left field for this hobby.

It seems like the E1.31 support would be your best hope outside of these other workaround.

Maybe you could volunteer to be a beta tester for them ... and just convince them you'll put in the time to help them get it working!
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]