Author Topic: Upgrading from a 128 channel/pixel wall of Minis to 384 RGB channels in SS  (Read 1715 times)

Offline JonB256

• My website
In my yard, I use a set of 16 vertical PVC poles, wrapped just like leaping arches with 8 strings of 100ct minis. They just aren't bent. I use them for different things - waterfall and fireworks effects, text, a fake piano keyboard, etc… 

A good piano example is in this video:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
A good text example is in this video:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Very, very low resolution and it can draw 40 amps if "All On." It also is just white and I like color. But, I get LOTS of positive comments from people about it.

I'm looking to update the wall without breaking the bank or overloading my sequencing skills. My plan at this point is to replace each PVC pole with something smaller in diameter and then attach a Flexible Strip Smart String from the top, down. Something square in shape like a fence post would be perfect except they might not be long enough. 

Here is my thought process:

All my current sequences are setup for 16 poles, 8 channels per pole, so 128 channels. A change to RGB, maintaining the same resolution, bumps it to 384 channels. Since I'm currently using LOR, all I'd need to do to update my sequences is to change each single channel to an RGB channel, then Copy/Paste my old sequence data into the updated sequence. Minimum effort for sequencing.

Here comes the math part though. Flexible SS strips from Ray Wu have 30 Pixels/LEDs per meter and the max length is 4 meters (more than I need). I've calculated that my best setup for current and future use would be custom length strips that are 72 Pixels/LEDs in length (just over 2 meters). I picked that number because 72 is divisible by 8, meaning that I could configure each SSC to group 9 LEDs as one pixel, maintaining my 8 pixel programming per pole. Plus, the 2 meter length is about the right proportion for the wall size I have pictured in my head for the yard. So I'd probably use one SSC per pole and could use just one Hub. I could use regular DMX if desired instead of Pixelnet if desired. This setup would meet my 384 channel goal for 2012.

THEN, in the following year(s), software and time willing, I could change the SSC pixel grouping value to increase the vertical resolution (72 is a very versatile number, divisible by virtually anything). For horizontal resolution, I could add more poles. If I went out to 20 poles, my resolution could then be up to 4320 channels. Probably higher than I'd ever use without Madrix or LSP. 

So I wait patiently for a COOP for SS Controllers and Hubs. Well, maybe not THAT patiently.

Offline rm357

I'm not sure if the current ssc firmware allows pixel groups. It's been talked about...

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline JonB256

• My website
oops, it appears that I mis-read a previous thread:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

as "working" rather than "wished for."

That pretty much shuts down my whole idea. :(

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
what shuts down your idea?  it sounds like you can do what you want to do...

I'm not sure about how LOR software works,

with vixen you treat x number of rows as your current channel. ( requires some copying and pasting, but still doable.)
with LSP, you can actually group your nodes in the software

so, either way, you can still accomplish what you want to do outside.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline JonB256

• My website
Perhaps "shutdown" is too strong. How about "more trouble than it's worth."

Offline chrisatpsu

what lights do you use are your arches?

Offline rm357

I'm going off DLA here, but the E681from sandevices.com is a e1.31 device that will do the pixel grouping. It also supports other pixel types.

If you are doing a mega tree or a high channel count item, be aware that it does not do boundary pixels between the e1.31 universes like the etherdongle. Each universe is stand alone. It is also a little more challenging to assemble. You should do a dry run on the assembly before heating up the soldering iron...

The ether dongle treats the 8 e1.31 universes in a pixelnet universe as one contiguous block.

Also, The instructions for the DLA items are a lot easier to follow.
RM

Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline JonB256

• My website
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
what lights do you use are your arches?

The lights on my arches are D-Light Firefli strands. While I had used them before with their original LOR compatible firmware, they worked better in 2011 with their new DMX firmware. It doesn't show as clearly, but my roof outline in 2011 was also in Firefli. I have a bunch. :)

But - using flexible strips, attached to 3/4" square/hollow PVC like they sell at US Plastics ($1.50) is my goal. The grouping feature would just make it sooooo much easier for my first year with SS controllers.

Offline chrisatpsu

i'm surprised the lor software doesn't have a "grouping" or "bunching" option or feature. I've never used it, so i don't know it's capabilities.

Offline JonB256

• My website
LOR will do grouping as you describe (the newest version, anyway). It is just cleaner if the controller can do it.

Offline chrisatpsu

i think it is a cool, and unique effect.