Author Topic: ethernet plug protection  (Read 921 times)

Offline sabie

• Santa's Runway
    • Santas-Runway-Christmas-Lights-Display
ethernet plug protection
« on: January 05, 2014, »
is anyone using these?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
looking at one at home depot looks like it would great for ethernet to the pigtail that rj sells in store

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: ethernet plug protection
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, »
Seems to me that the best solutions at a reasonable cost have been mentioned many times here.  Do not expose any cat5 connections to weather.  I have used used longer coax wire from the SSC to go straight into the box with the hub and then there are the 4 pin connector options.  Everything else that has been posted seems to be way to costly.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline tbone321

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, »
At 5 bucs a pop, that can get expensive real fast.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline CaptainMurdoch

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, »
75% off when I was there the other day and they had lots left.  The main reason I passed is they were only for minis and it looked like they wouldn't handle a wire much bigger than something a sting of minis would use.

Offline meman

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, »
I have a much simpler and cheaper solution: Dielectric Grease.
I use the CRC aerosol can on everything. A gob on vampire plug spikes before I seat the wire, cat5 sockets, etc.

Mike E.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, »
I have corrosion-x for my boards and RJ45 pigtails up here in the Pacific Northwest, I would have picked up a bunch of these for extension cords if they stocked the larger version.  I have lots of waterproof receptacle housings but they're normally on the end of a 15 foot cord plugged into a regular extension cord.  I have my LE's mounted in pairs on aluminum stands and I plan on mounting a few covered/waterproof receptacles to each stand for 2014 to make power distribution easier.

Offline towtruck

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, »
That looks similiar to the Farm Innovators CC-2 that I was eying at the local hardware store.  As tbone321 said, it gets expensive is you need any quantity. 

For electrical I was also considering Sockitboxes which are much more expensive but much bigger. This year I went low cost ... small to medium sized boxes that I placed the excess cord and connectors and then wrapped the box in a garbage bag.  I also used those clear plastic salad boxes.  Everything is still buried beneath 3 feet of snow so I can't comment on if things stayed dry, but everything stayed lit for me though all this wonderful weather.

is anyone using these?
looking at one at home depot looks like it would great for ethernet to the pigtail that rj sells in store

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, »
I have thought about using a "mini bomb" enclosure over the Cat5 connection.  Essentially a smaller enclosure like the one that houses the controller now.  Not terribly expensive but not terribly cheap either. 

Also, I'm not certain it would work as folks say there is corrosion even when the connection is not in the weather.

Offline caretaker

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, »
I used De-Ox on all my CAT5 connections this year and did not have ANY problems with corrosion or oxidation. I just squirted a little on the RJ45 plug before I plugged it in and wiped it off with a rag when I disconnected.
Jeff Squires