Author Topic: Power Issue  (Read 1519 times)

Offline Trevor

• Wilson Family Lights
Power Issue
« on: December 13, 2010, »
During fade (100% to 0%), amperage seems to increase on one controller, tripping the breaker.  It is the ONLY controller plugged into the outlet, connected to a 15 amp breaker on a sub-panel.  Everything has been working perfectly up until tonight.  When this occurs, as the fade progresses, the sub-panel begins to 'hum' louder as the fade gets dimmer, until breaker trips.  No hum when controller in question is turned off; other 6 working as intended.  Would upgrading to a 20 amp breaker help this issue?  Is it perhaps a weather related issue?  We are experiencing the coldest temps of this year, 0-10 degrees F.

Note:  Using incandescent mini lights, strands of 100.  200 amp house service; 50 amp sub-panel.

Any Help??
Even as an adult I find it difficult to sleep on Christmas Eve.  Yuletide excitement is a potent caffeine, no matter your age.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Power Issue
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, »
When the LE is at 100% with all channels, what is you current draw?
Did you install two power leads or one on the LE?

If you don't have one of those watt/current meters then you can estimate .33 amps per 100ct mini lights

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline tbone321

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, »
Do you have an inductive load on that controller?  Inductive loads don't like to be dimmed and some will actually draw more current when being dimmed.  I would remove all of the devices from the controller and then dim it and see what happens.  If all is ok with the Express unloaded then begin connecting devices and dim it after each device is conected to see what is causing the issue.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Trevor

• Wilson Family Lights
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, »
UPDATE: I went ahead and got an AMP reader and it seems that I was drawing 17 amps. JUST enough to trip the breaker. So I went ahead and added a 20amp to all breakers and have had no issues as of yet. I think for next year im just going to go ahead and add a 60amp sub-panel for the "Just in case" moments. Thanks for all your support!
Even as an adult I find it difficult to sleep on Christmas Eve.  Yuletide excitement is a potent caffeine, no matter your age.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, »
Glad thats all it was. good to know the circuit breaker was working.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, »
Just make sure the wiring fed by that 20A breaker is #12 or larger...
/mike

Offline Trevor

• Wilson Family Lights
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Just make sure the wiring fed by that 20A breaker is #12 or larger...
/mike

Yep..I have a electrician in the family who did the sub panel and if im not mistaken was already wired with heavier wire since he knew that I would be adding more to it the following year. I will most likely have him add the circuits and what not again this year just for the fact that I know it will be done correctly.  :P

Thanks for the tip!  ;D