Author Topic: When to switch to smartstrings?  (Read 1382 times)

Offline DanHouston

When to switch to smartstrings?
« on: November 18, 2011, »
I am wrapping some trees in my yard with incandescent lights, and next year I was considering putting three colors on each tree and controlling each string with an LE channel, but then I started wondering if it makes sense to go with smartstrings instead....Here is how I broke it down and was wondering if my cost based analysis is correct:

Cost for LE approach with incandescents:
3 strings of 100 incandescents - $15 (I can do better than this for some strings, but these $4.99 strings have served me well)
Cost per port of LE: ($4.18 + $2.50 + 3.90) (LE + Output Coord + Extension Coord to light) = 10.58 ... 3 ports per tree = $31.74
Cost per tree 3 color indandescent - $47.74

Cost for LE approache with LEDs:
3 strings 105 LEDs - $42.75 (Not sure if this is a good price or not....this is from ChristmasDesigners.com)
Cost per port of LE: ($4.18 + $2.50 + 3.90) (LE + Output Coord + Extension Coord to light) = 10.58 ... 3 ports per tree = $31.74
Cost per tree 3 color LED - $74.49

Cost for Smart Strings:
100 node string - $58.90
Smart string controller - $10.70
Smart string hub - $48.19 ... can control 16 strings = $3.02 per tree
12V power supply - $4.00
CAT-5 Cable (hub to controller) - $3.87
Extension cord (to hub) - $3.90
Cost per tree Smart String = $84.39

So to go from what I was thinking to Smart Strings it is not quite double the cost, but if I was going to go LEDs to wrap the tress the Smart String is too close in price (especially given the extra features and colors you'd get) to justify 3 LED strings. Does this align with people's experience. Did I miss a cost somewhere (I have a dongle and I think that will be adequate for what I want to do to start anyway, and read it can be upgraded to handle pixelnet)?
2011 - Year #1
    4000 lights and 16 channels
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    5000 lights and 123 channels
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline keitha43

Re: When to switch to smartstrings?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, »
Smartstrings are a little delicate. It would be hard to wrap them around a tree without straining the wire connections to the circuit boards. On my megatree I am tie wrapping about every 3 nodes to parachute cord so the tension is on the parachute cord and not the nodes.

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, »
Interesting....I was not aware they were delicate.
2011 - Year #1
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline keitha43

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, »
Yes thats why RJ recommends attaching to Paracord to keep the stress off them. He is possibly going to get with a USA manufacturer to produce them locally and I think they would be of higher quality and have the controllers built into the strings. At least that was a rumour I heard. One posted he had some nodes go bad during the waterproofing procedure by having too much weight of the strings themselves pulling on the nodes while hanging to dry.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, »
I wish you had not posted that. I do not want to know how much a tree costs me.  LOL.  To me this hobby is not about cost benefit analysis.  I just set a budget for entertainment and if things fit I'm good to go.  What I do like about my nodes is that I have fewer regular strings to put up and fewer extension cords to run.  For one window I go from 3 strings and 3 extension cords to one string and one cat4 cable.  And I get way more functionality of light options, colors, etc that I ever had before. How do you put a price on being able to make your lights be any of thousands of available colors.  I did put my nodes on PVC frames for my windows so I do not have any excessive pull on the wires.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, »
If it's about cost, buy as many minis as you can after Christmas and use an LE.  The next best cost wise would be LED's and an LE. Same with LED's, buy during a group buy.  Buying lights at this time of year hurts people like us because you want way more than the average consumer.

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I wish you had not posted that. I do not want to know how much a tree costs me.  LOL.  To me this hobby is not about cost benefit analysis.  I just set a budget for entertainment and if things fit I'm good to go.  What I do like about my nodes is that I have fewer regular strings to put up and fewer extension cords to run.  For one window I go from 3 strings and 3 extension cords to one string and one cat4 cable.  And I get way more functionality of light options, colors, etc that I ever had before. How do you put a price on being able to make your lights be any of thousands of available colors.  I did put my nodes on PVC frames for my windows so I do not have any excessive pull on the wires.

Cost has to be a factor....especially with a budget. :) A balance of what you want to accomplish and the money you have :)
2011 - Year #1
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If it's about cost, buy as many minis as you can after Christmas and use an LE.  The next best cost wise would be LED's and an LE. Same with LED's, buy during a group buy.  Buying lights at this time of year hurts people like us because you want way more than the average consumer.

Good point about the pre-buys....It sounds like given the sensitivity the Smart Strings have they would not be a good choice for my tree wrapping.....I'm definitely considering them for my mega tree, but I think I'll go the mini route for wrapping actual trees.

Thanks all.
2011 - Year #1
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, »
Now the flexible flat strings might be more apt to something like that, but even they have a max bending point.