Author Topic: Black light paint for display sign  (Read 775 times)

Offline shgshgshgshg

Black light paint for display sign
« on: November 07, 2012, »
I have a general question. I am currently thinking about how I am going to make a cheap display sign for my show that won't interfere with my lights. The sign will be a simple "tune your radios to ..." type thing and I was wondering if anyone has tried using a black light bulb with UV paint.

Has anyone had any success with this, and if so how did it turn out?
2012: 2,000 lights, 16 channels, all controlled by Vixen.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Night Owl

Re: Black light paint for display sign
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, »
I've never used blacklight for Christmas but I use it extensively for Halloween.  What kind of black light source are you going to use?  From my experience, standard incandescent black light bulbs do not produce much UV light.  I get the best results using black light fluorescent tubes.  The attached photo is my graveyard.  Styrofoam tombstones with fluorescent paint from a craft store to outline the words.  I misted fluorescent spray paint on some of them so they would glow.  Blue works best but you have to be careful with spray paint because the solvent will eat the styrofoam.  I used that property to texture some of the tombstones then I painted them with gray latex house paint and that protected it from the spray paint I misted on afterwards.  I've been using them for over 10 years without touching up the paint.  It is really effective, but the light source is a shop light with two T12 4' bulbs so it is very strong.  I also have a few 18" black light fluorescent fixtures.  You can buy the special ones that are sold as black light units.  Or you can buy the cheap 18" fixtures and replace the bulbs with black light bulbs.  You save about 50% by going this way.    This year I built a water resistant UV light source using the same work light case used for the Aether and a blacklight CFL.  The CFL produces a lot more visible light in comparison to the standard T12 tubes.  Probably not a big issue for Christmas decorations but comes into play for Halloween decorations where you want it to be dark as possible.   

Offline LtKadeo

Re: Black light paint for display sign
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, »
You could make your own black lite using uv leds from this place
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have done this for my graveyard display used 12 - 15 led per lite - can make them in a clear tube and low voltage 12vdc
If you want more info let me know