Author Topic: Noob Sanity Check: Getting a list together for a system, am I missing something?  (Read 1633 times)

Offline glankford

I am trying to get a system built (for either xmas this year or halloween next year) and I think I need the following:

1. USB Dongle (configured for pixelnet)
2. Pixelnet 16 port smart hub
3. 5 smart strings (flexible strip)
4. 5 smart string controller (one for each smart string)
5. 2 lynx express (to run regular lights)
6. enclosures, wire, and lots of CAT5 cables

From what I understand, the pixelnet smart hub has a DMX output, so I won't need a separate dongle for DMX (to run both Lynx Express).   The goal is to have a few smart strings, and then regular outputs as well.  I'm figuring about $900 for all of this, including enclosures. 

I'm planning on making this a family project, since my daughter (age 11) enjoys electronics, and my son (age 13) enjoys the cool stuff you can do with these systems.  I'm an electrical engineer by trade, so I'm not scared of soldering, programming, or wiring.

I've been scouring the wiki articles and watching various videos to try to educate myself, but I'd like to be sure I'm not missing something obvious.

I couldn't find a good place to post this, so I figured the express was a good place for it.  If this is the wrong place, please let me know and I will re-post it elsewhere.
Thanks,
Garrick
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, by glankford »

Offline smartcontrols

• Coop Manager

Do not forget the ATX power supply for the flex strips.
Also be sure to include the shipping from China - it can be more than you expect.

-Jeff

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
You forgot the Software to do the programming.

Choices are:

1. Vixen
2. Lightshow Pro
3. Lightorama.

Have you looked at them?
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline glankford

smartcontrols,
ATX power supplies:  I literally have a box of those.  No problem there.  Any idea whether it is a 20 pin or a 24 pin ATX header?   I have both supply types, but I have more of the 20 pin ones.  I was a bit surprised on the shipping cost, but I assume that if you buy more than 1 strip, they don't double-dip and add shipping for each?  Those strips can't weigh much, so 5 strips shouldn't be 5x shipping cost.

Dennis,
I'm planning on using Vixen.  I started programming tonight, just so I could get my feet wet. 

Thanks for the replies!

Garrick

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
I would recommend that you get at least one extra SSC to keep as a test unit and maybe one or two more PCBs for expansion and changes.  I have just requested my 3rd set of SSC controllers because I have split strings where I did not plan to and added additional strings.

I would also get at least one set of the 3 pin connectors.  They are pretty cheap in the overall scheme of things and I glad I ordered extras.  They have been great at swapping things around and letting me plug in a test SSC without having to reprogram the PIC.  Although I will say that I just started using the xlights tester and it is very good.  I also have some of the connectors attached to alligator clips so I can try things without having to solder everything together.

You also need to get a Pickit - just get the Pickit3 and a set of adapters from j1sys, aka Joshua 1 Systems.

Buy extra components when you are ordering parts.  I have an extra pic for each type of unit that I am using, extra sockets, extra fuses, etc.  When you are ordering many of the parts are very cheap and adding a couple of things does not end up costing much more and the shipping does not really change. 

I would also get an extra PCB for a dongle.  I've never had one die, but they are a critical path for your show.  I built an extra one and keep in on my workbench and use it for testing of repairs or new builds even during the season when the show is running.  for the same reason you might even want a second SS Hub.  I have been working on my Christmas stuff even while my production hub has been outside running my Halloween show.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline smartcontrols

• Coop Manager
The Hub uses a 24 pin header so either will work.

Ray’s site does a poor job of calculating shipping with multiple items. When you are ready to order send him an email directly with what you want and were it will ship to. He will send you a quote with a little better shipping than the site gives. But it still does add up quickly. Importing things is a little different than just the physical cost of shipping it. You may want to keep your order under $650 US dollars to keep from getting a surprise bill from UPS for added import taxes. I do not know of anyone here that has been hit with that yet, but $650 is the legal limit.

Just want to be sure you were thinking of everything to budget for.

-Jeff

Offline jeffcoast

I thought with the Free Trade Agreement, they did away with import taxes? My order was $1500 and didn't get anything added on from the shipping company.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
I noticed on one of my packages from Ray that the declared value was lower than I actually paid.  but I did not have high dollar orders in either case.  Did not pay attention to what the valutation was on the other shipment.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline steve_hirst

you may also want to look at an FM transmitter or some other way of getting the sound out to those vewing the show. good luck and some patience will help alot too.

Offline glankford

Hello Steve,  I do have my own FM transmitter that is currently being used with my PC jukebox, so I will temporarily repurpose it for use with the show.   Ramsey Electronics makes a nice one that I have used 24/7 for approximately the last 10 years. 

Thanks again everyone for all the input!

Garrick