Author Topic: Strain reliefs for LE?  (Read 1408 times)

Offline LondoB5

Strain reliefs for LE?
« on: November 06, 2011, »
I have 5 LEs and keep running into an issue when I run the wires that they pull out of the LE board aat the screw terminal. This is even using short runs (less than 1ft) from the board to a female plug. Any suggestions how I can keep this from happening?
btw, I'm using some huge home depot grey distribution boxes to mount the LEs into.

Thanks!
-Ron

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
Re: Strain reliefs for LE?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, »
I use rubber grommets heres a pic
Jeff

Offline inzeos

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, »
Jeff,

What size grommets are those?  Do you have a part number?

Also what size drill bit did you use to match them up with?

Regards,

Leif

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, »
I have seen some folks zip tie several of the cords together making it much harder to pull out. I don't do anything on the outlet cords except use a heavy turn hand on the screws.  I do take my input cord (I only use one) and put a loop in and then zip tie it.  I am more concerned about a hot wire pulling loose.  In my early days I did have a few pull out, but I was not tightening them down enough.  Also I have about 5 ft of the cord hanging out and my controllers are all close enough to the ground that there is not much weight hanging on a cord.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline bwhite505

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, »
I did my cases the same way Jeff did with the grommets. I have a zip tie on the wires just inside the case as a strain relief works great. It is a clean professional look.

I have a few hundred left over.  It was cheaper to buy a whole case.  If anyone is interested send me a PM.

Brian

Offline memphislights

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, »
Here is another overkill thread from a couple of years ago.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

That being said, just running cords through the existing openings and then using cable ties seems to work pretty well with a lot less effort.
It's not about more, it's about enough.

Offline LondoB5

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, »
Thanks that was all really helpful.
I cut a big hole in all of my cases (I have home depot distro boxes). now I'm going to cover over the big holes and drill some proper ones and add the heavy duty strain reliefs like LOR uses.

Thanks again!

-Ron

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, »
I found that zip ties and just normal tightening of the terminal screws to be enough.

Bill