Author Topic: Spare parts for Express  (Read 1756 times)

Offline njKeever

Spare parts for Express
« on: November 08, 2011, »
When I built my fifth and final Express last night I couldn't find one of the fuses. I am going to order some from Mouser but was wondering what other spare parts I should order as well. For those of you that have had parts go out, what do you recommend? ie, 1 spare triac per controller, 2 spare leds per controllers, etc.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: Spare parts for Express
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, »
I'm interested in this topic too.  Thanks for starting it.

I've heard people suggest fuses (the little green ones), and 485 chips, and PICs.  I'd have to go to mouser to find the right ones of each of the kits that I've built.  The 485 and PICs are frequently suggested for swapping during troubleshooting procedures.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, »
I have spare PICs of every kind that I use, spare fuses for each type of controller, spare triacs, spare optos, spare sockets (mostly got those in case I messed up during assembly), extra resistors, spare PCBs for Dongle and EXRX, even spare built and tested EXRX and dongles.  I also usually try not to use all 16 channels on an LE when doing setup if I can so I end up with spare channels in case I need them and I have needed them at times.  It is pretty cheap to add another $10 of stuff to a Mouser order when shipping is going to cost so much later on if I need to rush get a part during the season.  And other than PICs, most of the stuff is pretty inexpensive.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, »
In the five years I have been doing this I have never even had a fuse blow.  I keep a spare controller just in case.  It's easier to swap that out when it cold outside than to have to fix things.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, »
I have never had a fuse blow either.  Neither have I had my house burn down.  But I still have fire insurance.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, »
I have insurance as well.  With 40 controllers, LOR and Lynx deployed, it shows how reliable these units are.  I have spare fuses as these are easy to get and Radio Shack.  If you can afford an extra controller, I would advise it as it's far easier to swap a controller than fix a board.

Offline Blackbeard

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have never had a fuse blow either.  Neither have I had my house burn down.  But I still have fire insurance.

Are you suggesting I should not only have spare controllers, but also a spare house? ;)

Gosh this hobby is expensive.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, »
I also like the idea of a spare controller, but every time I think I may have that I come up with more stuff to animate.  This is an addictive hobby.  Who can afford a spare house because we would probably want to decorate it as well besides any money for a spare house could be spent on more lights.  LOL

Sorry Jeff I thought you might be implying that there was no need to have spare fuses.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline Trevor

• Wilson Family Lights
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, »
I too, always have a few spare controllers laying around JUST IN CASE. As well as Triac's seems they dislike my LE's  <fp.
Even as an adult I find it difficult to sleep on Christmas Eve.  Yuletide excitement is a potent caffeine, no matter your age.