Author Topic: Help with COM PORTS  (Read 1919 times)

Offline captain224

Help with COM PORTS
« on: November 08, 2012, »
help vixen is giving me a message that says "com port COM3 not found" when i try to set the output plug-in. have any ideas?.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, by captain224 »

sjb

Re: Help with COM PORTS
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, »
Are you trying to set up a usb dongle? If so is Com 3 the one assigned to the dongle. Not sure if you have watched this video, but I found it very helpful

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

If you did not see this video in the Wiki, it could be as this was your first post. As stated in the new members sign-up, you should post a "Hi I am ...." in the New Members Introduction and then you will see all of the great info the members at DLA have put together.

Steve
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, by sjb »

Offline rm357

Help with COM PORTS
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, »
Windows likes to assign the com ports in sequence, so you need to either pay close attention the first time you plug the dongle in to see which port is assigned or find the com ports in the hardware manager like is done in the video of the previous post. Once a port is assigned to a specific dongle, windows will remember that dongle the next time you plug it in and give it the same port # unless there is a conflict.

You can reassign the port number if desired in the properties window.

Some of the older versions of various software packages did not like port numbers above 8 (I think)...

Of special note: only one program can access the dongle at a time. If you just finished using one program, you have to close it before starting another - for example, you cannot have both the addressing utility and vixen running at the same time. On occasion, I've had to unplug and the reconnect the USB cable on the dongle...

You did install the ftdi driver... Yes?
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: Help with COM PORTS
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, »
if using the USB Dongle, Rick made a com port finder for it..

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!