Author Topic: ** SOLVED ** unable to program smart string controllers via USB DMX Dongle v1  (Read 2907 times)

Offline tthompson

I have v1 smart string that i finally got around to finishing.  the PIC is programmed with Smart String Firmware "Standard 7-10-2011" as it is version 1.

I am using lynx DMX Dongle v2.0 and have it programmed with DMX dongle pixelnet.hex -

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I have the "PROGRAM" jumper on.

I am attempting to program the SSC using the Smart String Utility v1.0 but all it does is flash transmit.  The green light on the USB dongle does not flash.  It is dark.  The red is solid. 

No lights attached to the SSC flash or do anything.

I am using a straight through cable from the USB Dongle to the SSC.  I know it is good as i used it for network cable to my computer.

When I hit 'Transmit', it just flashes Transmit and never stops.

I have com15 for the USB serial port, "USB Dongle" selected, Mode= individual pixels, Direction= Forward, node count=128, Smart String Device= String

Any suggestions?

« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, by tthompson »

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
first question is did you connect the strings correctly to the SSC?
They have a input and output side. The inputs side has the larger chip on it.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline tthompson

yes,  input on string is the 'large single chip' not the 3 smaller chips.

Offline keitha43

Have you installed the usb driver?

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member

I am using a straight through cable from the USB Dongle to the SSC.  I know it is good as i used it for network cable to my computer.

You need to attach your cable from the dongle to an active or passive hub and then run a cable from the hub to the ssc or you will have no power to the ssc.  And you must have a PC power supply connected to the hub.

Also can you tell us if the dongle has ever worked with any other smart string appliance?
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline tthompson

right now I am just trying to program the SSC.  My understanding was that I go USB Dongle with Pixelnet firmware then to SSC and use Smart String Utility to program the starting channels.

The DMX dongle did work on last year's light show, but I had DMX firmware on it and I just reprogrammed to Pixelnet.

Yes, the USB Driver is installed.  I see the USB Serial channel on Com15.  I.e. Com 15 is there when I have USB Dongle plugged in, and it goes away when I unplug it.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
do you have a hub in there?

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline tthompson

yes, I re-watched the Newbie Smart string programming video and the hub is in there.

when I program the PIC18F2450 with DMX for the dongle, the Green comes on and stays on when the USB cable is plugged in.

When I program with Pixelnet, it does not come on or flash or anything during the process.

Should the green LED come on and or flash with Pixelnet?

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
the led could be on but going so fast you can't see it. it went from 512 channels to 4096

Try loading the test firmware and just provide power from the hub to see it the nodes light up.

So it would be Hub (with power) SSC (with test firmware) Lights should be on depending how you go the program jumper set.

Rick R.

Offline tbone321

Also make sure that in the utility that the Dongle is selected and not the Etherdongle. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!

does this mean you are using straight through cables throughout your setup?
or you're using one cable from the USB Dongle's output directly to the SSC?

if you are using a hub, which one are you using, and how are you connecting 12v power to the hub?
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline tthompson

Test firmware on the SSC works after I added another 330k resistor.  before, it would only light a few pixels at the beginning of the string.

i double checked the md5 for the USB DMX Dongle Pixelnet firmware and it matches up and I'm using known good working cat5 (straight through) network cables.  i.e. i used them on the SSC pixelnet test and they worked fine.

no green light still, but red lights up in pixelnet.  when i program with DMX, I am able to control a LE board with no problems.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
there needs to be a way to add 12v DC power to the strings...   

you need to go from the Dongle, to a Hub, then from the Hub to the SSC

the 16 port hubs (active and passive) can pull power from a computer atx power supply
all of the hubs can pull power from a 12v supply.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline rm357

Turn the lights out in the room and then look at the green light on the USB dongle. For pixelnet it will be glowing very dimly. If you set every address in the pixelnet universe to full on, it should get a lot brighter...

The signaling for DMX sends a logic level between packets that turns the led on regardless of the data being sent. With 8 times the data and only 4 times the data rate, I'm not sure if there are any gaps in the pixelnet data.

For the more technically inclined, the led is connected directly to the logic data out on the 485 chip. The led actually blinks the bits from the raw data stream - although the data might be inverted...
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline tthompson

I finally have success.

I reprogrammed all chips with newly downloaded and confirmed checksums and used a different pixel strand and made all new cat5 cables and it all works like it's supposed to now.

It looks like I either have a bad SSC or bad strand.  I will swap out to find out the root cause.  When I programmed with the 'bad' ssc and strand, the pixels flashed and then went solid, not flashing after they were done.  They would partially respond to commands in xlights/vixen, but would freeze and stay with whatever state they were in about 10s after being sent info.

I used a different SSC and different pixel strand and everything tested out just as it should.

Thanks for all the help and responses.

TimT.