Author Topic: Setting Modem for Etd?  (Read 21365 times)

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: Setting Modem for Etd?
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

But I am not even running a full load yet! I have not even started on any of my pixelnet! I am still in the testing stages!!!! Right now I am only running about 200 channels, but it does not seem to matter. Even a simple 4 channel sequence will shut the internet down. I don't know if it even matters, but I have a 50meg internet speed. For some reason it is like it closes all of the other ports to run the etd, except Xlights. So far it has been solid!

what router do you have?  maybe it needs a firmware update (yet, i wouldn't change anything since it works now)
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2012, »
Well I was using a linksys (yes that one lost internet too), but just upgraded my internet service 3 days ago and bought a Motorola SBG6580. They both do the exact same thing.

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2012, »
I just read through the thread and I'm not sure I understand how this is causing an issue for you.  I've been testing an Etd and the conductor for a while now and do not see any adverse affects on my home network when running a show.  I've been mainly using Vixen and the Conductor recently, but I just plugged in a spare Etd and am looping shows in Vixen and I see no adverse affects on my home network.

This has to be an issue of multicast affecting your internet router.  What's your complete network setup?  Computer plugged into a switch or wireless router that plugs into the modem?

Offline caretaker

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2012, »
From another post we know that if you use LOR software and have the listener running it will flood your network with multicast packets. (this is not the problem here I don't think) Using Wire Shark can help in tracking down what is happening with network congestion. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Jeff Squires

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2012, »
I just read through the thread and I'm not sure I understand how this is causing an issue for you.  I've been testing an Etd and the conductor for a while now and do not see any adverse affects on my home network when running a show.  I've been mainly using Vixen and the Conductor recently, but I just plugged in a spare Etd and am looping shows in Vixen and I see no adverse affects on my home network.

This has to be an issue of multicast affecting your internet router.  What's your complete network setup?  Computer plugged into a switch or wireless router that plugs into the modem?

I am not running Vixen so I cannot say how it would react for me. Yes my desktop for the most part has been connected directly to the router, BUT I have an Asus 330N that will do the same when connected. Also the software that is stopping my internet it is LSP and LOR.

From another post we know that if you use LOR software and have the listener running it will flood your network with multicast packets. (this is not the problem here I don't think) Using Wire Shark can help in tracking down what is happening with network congestion. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

It will do it even without the control panel running in LOR. If I just play a sequence it will stop the internet until I stop the play, then all is good.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, by rdebolt »

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
Setting Modem for Etd?
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2012, »
Sorry my post was not written well from addressing LOR and LSP. I understand that is the software you are running and I cannot simulate that since I do not have that running on my show PC, but I can simulate the Etd using multicast.

My confusion is more about how multicast could be causing a problem with your Internet connection. I understand you can flood your network with multicast packets, but really that should only influence multicast listeners and possibly the device generating the packets. That is why I asked about the network setup. The only way your Internet connection should be affected is if your gateway is processing the multicast packets which should not be the case.

Can you detail your network setup for us?  How PCs connect, your router, your modem?  That might help us understand why multicast is causing the issue. In a former life, before I retired, I was a network engineer so I've worked with multicast quite a bit.

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2012, »
Can you detail your network setup for us?  How PCs connect, your router, your modem?  That might help us understand why multicast is causing the issue. In a former life, before I retired, I was a network engineer so I've worked with multicast quite a bit.

PC>Modem>Etd all cat5 is how I was running it.

Modem is Motorola SBG6580

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2012, »
OK, so it might be the Multicast setting in your router.  The way mine is setup at home is PC, Etd are connected to a switch which is connected to a wireless router.  The wireless router is my default gateway.  The wireless router WAN port is connected to my cable modem which connects to the internet.  In your setup your cable modem is your WAN connection and router for your internal network.

Somewhere in your cable modem setup is the option to Enable/Disable Multicast Services.  By default it is Enabled.  Try Disabling that and see if it has an affect on your problem.  That sounds like a weird option, to disable Multicast Services, but I think the service it provides is sending and receiving Multicast through the modem to the internet.  It may be that you are bogging down your router and internet connection, sending your multicast traffic not just to your Etd but also forwarding to the internet.  Your service provider more than likely just drops it, so it isn't really going anywhere.  I think you can disable the service and not affect anything you are doing on the internet and it should still work between your PC and the internet.

However, no guarantees.  The documentation I can find from Motorola about your modem and configuring it is next to worthless when you get into any of the more advanced configuration options.  But, give it a shot and see if it helps.  You can always turn it back on if it causes a problem.

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2012, »
Ron I tried your suggestion and it did not help, it did not hurt, but still knocks out internet.

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2012, »
I'm kind of back to square 1. With the second nic card, the lights do work, but not even close on time. With MB nic lights play spot on , but loose all internet.  <md..

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2012, »
put internet on nic #2  lights on nic 1

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2012, »
put internet on nic #2  lights on nic 1

Did that then Intenet ran slow. Maybe I have a bad nic card.

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2012, »
when you gave the 2nd nic an address, did you assign a gateway?

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2012, »
when you gave the 2nd nic an address, did you assign a gateway?

That's greek to me!   :-[ <fp.

I actually took it away the ip address because I could not get it to work with it.

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2012, »
While making my wife angry tonight, I did notice that the wired PC still has internet while the lights are on, but I cannot get into the modem configuration while lights are on! All other computers are wireless.