Author Topic: Setting Modem for Etd?  (Read 21373 times)

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
Re: Setting Modem for Etd?
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2012, »
Still sounds to me like your modem is having an issue with multicast traffic. Like it is trying to process the multicast and pass it through and that is causing other devices to lose internet connectivity. Do your wireless devices still show a strong connection, they just can't get internet access?

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Still sounds to me like your modem is having an issue with multicast traffic. Like it is trying to process the multicast and pass it through and that is causing other devices to lose internet connectivity. Do your wireless devices still show a strong connection, they just can't get internet access?

Can't be modem. Just got a new one last week. Old one did the same thing. I'll let you know about signal in a minute!

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2012, »
Signal show excellent at all times.

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2012, »
I'm becoming suicidal!  <md..

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2012, »
I'm not saying there is a problem with the modem, just a configuration issue. The symptoms point to an issue with the modem handling the multicast traffic. When you have the Etd on you 1. lose internet access on your wireless devices but they have a good signal and 2. you cannot access the configuration screen for the router. Both these point to an issue with the router being overloaded on the internal network side.  But it shouldn't be doing anything with the traffic.

The issue you run into with two NICs in your computer is telling your operating system which NIC to forward multicast traffic out. It sound like maybe it is forwarding out both, but that there is still some routing issue.

Did you power cycle the modem/router after you made the multicast change?  Again I cannot find any good documentation on the advanced configuration options for your router/modem.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2012, »
i think to get by.  your best bet is to assign an ip address for the 2nd nic   (add ip address, and subnet mask, but no gateway or dns addresses)

then in that link i gave a while ago, set the priority of the 2nd nic above the 1st.

(remember on that step, where you don't see the advanced menu, to press ALT for the menus to come up)

NOTE: by setting the priority of the 2nd nic first, then multicast will attach to that nic,  also, by not assigning a gateway, then you "route" for the internet becomes the 2nd nic.  ( i think we can tweak some more stuff on the 2nd nic that aren't needed, but we need to get into that configuration first.)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, by chrisatpsu »
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
Setting Modem for Etd?
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2012, »
Maybe we can force multicast to the non Internet NIC by adding a route in the route table. Can you capture the output of a "route print" command from a Command prompt? That would show us how your traffic is set currently.

Do you have an IP address configured on each NIC?

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2012, »
Thanks for the help guys. No at this time I do NOT have an ip assigned to either network card. I do know how to do that, but I don not know how to do the rest of what you are asking about. Setting the ip is easy, but does it really matter what it is? For example I did have the second nic set to 192.168.2.25. Is a number like that ok?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, by rdebolt »

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2012, »
it your router is on 192.168.x.x    then i'd probably set the ip address of the nic for the etherdongle as 10.0.0.5  to make it clear enough to not be confused.

IP 10.0.0.5
subnet 255.255.255.0
gate:  leave blank
dns1/2  leave blank

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
Setting Modem for Etd?
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2012, »
What Chris suggests is a good idea to keep it simple. I'd probably set to 10.0.0.1 to be real simple. Then get to command (DOS for the old guys like me) prompt by doing a RUN then CMD. When you get the command prompt type ROUTE PRINT, the enter. Copy that output and post here.

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
Setting Modem for Etd?
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2012, »
I hit send too soon. Tough working on my iPhone.

OK, after you get the NIC that you want to connect to the Etd setup with an IP address you can add a route that says send all multicast traffic through that NIC. Assuming you set the NIC to 10.0.0.1, enter the following at a CMD prompt.

route -p ADD 239.255.0.0 MASK 0.0.0.255 10.0.0.1

After you enter that it should save a route for all multicast traffic to an Etd to be out your 2nd NIC. Hopefully that will keep excess traffic off of your Internet subnet.

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2012, »
So question with that is in my LSP setup I still want it to go to network 2 correct? AND in Xlights there is no choice so I guess I need to do all of this on Network 1 for Xlights to work and put my Internet Modem on the second nic. That is the problem for me throwing too many things at it and everything is set up differently. SO After thinking for a moment....
Should:
1. I use Nic 1 (in LSP Network 1) and change those settings within Network 1 
2.  Connect internet to Nic 2?

When I had the internet connected to Nic 2 I had very noticeably slower internet. Will changing those settings affect that as well?

SORRY for being such a PITA!!!

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2012, »
i'd put the internet on nic 1
and the etherdongle on nic 2

note to others:
( i know that you linux folks are shaking your head at me for not calling them eth0, and eth1, but i want to keep this all simple english terms)

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
note to others:
( i know that you linux folks are shaking your head at me for not calling them eth0, and eth1, but i want to keep this all simple english terms)

Just using the terms that I am giving you with my feeble mind!  ;)

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2012, »
that's fine. we're dealing with windows anyways. just injecting some humor into the thread