Author Topic: Setting Modem for Etd?  (Read 21374 times)

Offline JonB256

• My website
Re: Setting Modem for Etd?
« Reply #90 on: March 02, 2013, »
I'll admit that I didn't go back through the whole thread (too long), but when you remove the CF card from the conductor, it won't talk any better than it would if you don't have the configuration files on the CF card with it plugged in.

If the conductor software doesn't see a properly setup CF card in the socket, it just doesn't do much.

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #91 on: March 02, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'll admit that I didn't go back through the whole thread (too long), but when you remove the CF card from the conductor, it won't talk any better than it would if you don't have the configuration files on the CF card with it plugged in.

If the conductor software doesn't see a properly setup CF card in the socket, it just doesn't do much.

Thanks for the help, but this has nothing to do with the conductor (working fine). Main problem is when running lights through Etd we loose all internet.

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #92 on: March 02, 2013, »
OK.  As I said, I didn't go back through all 7 pages. :)

My wireless network seem unaffected by Multicast traffic. I'll just consider myself lucky. My wife would not like losing her iPad connection.

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #93 on: March 02, 2013, »
OK.  As I said, I didn't go back through all 7 pages. :)

My wife would not like losing her iPad connection.

Thus my problem!  ;)

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: March 02, 2013, »
Wondering if what Jim work out could also be related to your problem

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #95 on: March 02, 2013, »
Rick that may be. The pci nic card is just one that I have had for years. The other is a Realtek, but it is part of my motherboard so I cannot change that one. I guess that I could install 2 new non Realtek pci nic cards. I am just wondering if my "now" issue has something to do with what Ron had me do on post #71 of this thread. I don't know networking at all! OBVIOUSLY! <fp.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, by rdebolt »

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #96 on: March 02, 2013, »
I was looking at your diagram and Why use the cisco router at all on the lights side just plug your ETD into your computer and elimated one possible point of problems. Worst is you would need a cross over cable if your computer is real old.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #97 on: March 02, 2013, »
I was looking at your diagram and Why use the cisco router at all on the lights side just plug your ETD into your computer and elimated one possible point of problems. Worst is you would need a cross over cable if your computer is real old.

RJ

That's the way I had it the very first time. For some reason Xlights always wants to go through the Nic connected to the internet. I have switched cables to the Nics and the same thing happens every time. I would like to use the Ciso, because I have both my Etd and Conductor going to it so when I want to go from one to the other all I have to do is change the cable to my test hub. I have both my conductor and edt mounted so changing the cable on them is not quite as easy. Just being picky I guess,

NOTE: Right now the way my diagram is, I have no lights at all out of the Etd. All I have to do is disconnect the Cat 5 to the Motorola and everything works.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, by rdebolt »

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #98 on: March 02, 2013, »
if your computer is real old.

RJ

Computer is actually 1 year old (self built) but the pci Nic card is old. Just one that I had lying around. I think that I am going to go buy a new one and see what happens.

Offline travailen

« Reply #99 on: March 02, 2013, »
When I get desktops for work, I never trust the motherboard nic. I suggest you get TWO new nics of the same kind so you do not have to use the one on the motherboard. I use Intel's. If space is a problem, get a two port card. I have never had good luck with the nics on the motherboard.

Rick S

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #100 on: March 03, 2013, »
I was looking at your diagram and Why use the cisco router at all on the lights side just plug your ETD into your computer and elimated one possible point of problems. 

After doing some thinking....and that is very scary....am I not going to need more ports when the Slave firmware is done?

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #101 on: March 03, 2013, »
Depends how you do it. I use the cheap little wireless units to create a network for just that stuff alone. that way I can setup my wifi on my android phone to control it as well as my computer.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #102 on: March 03, 2013, »
Depends how you do it. I use the cheap little wireless units to create a network for just that stuff alone. that way I can setup my wifi on my android phone to control it as well as my computer.

RJ

Knowing the network expert that I am.  <fp.  I tried that and could not get it to run, but I do think that I have a bad Asus module.