Author Topic: Thanks, guys! Re-flow worked!  (Read 1372 times)

Offline sielbear

Thanks, guys! Re-flow worked!
« on: November 14, 2012, »
I had a CF socket that appeared to have NO solder on it.  Pins were definitely free floating above the board.  I was also somewhat terrified at the prospect of having to work on the SMD components.  Wow those things are TINY!

I pressed firmly on the CF socket as it had just a touch of play - the pins were reasonably far off the board.  I pressed straight down with a CLEAN solder tip, fairly close to the socket.  The pins moved and JUST came into contact with the pads.  I could JUST see the solder melting under the pins, but I honestly thought I was doing no good. 

After using the iron, I used a small piece of flexible wire to see if any of my pins moved - none were!  I thought what the heck and connected it up.  Low and behold, the conductor control panel saw the Conductor!

I then ran the test sequence loaded on the conductor.  Holy Moses!  It worked!

Very, very cool device now that it's working.

Big thank you to the folks smart enough to notice what happened.  I honestly would have had NO starting point for troubleshooting this gizmo as I'd have never thought to look at the CF socket.

Also, I followed the steps outlined in the posts above - clean solder tip, steady hand, magnifying glass, and excellent lighting. 

Xmas 2012, HERE I COME!!

Offline dcwehw99

• Beta Tester
Re: Thanks, guys! Re-flow worked!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, »
Great to hear you're up and running!

Denny

Offline sielbear

Re: Thanks, guys! Re-flow worked!
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, »
By the way, playback is VERY crisp / smooth through the conductor so far...