Author Topic: Channel & physical layout  (Read 1343 times)

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
Channel & physical layout
« on: November 15, 2012, »
I wanted to see if my thought process is correct before I hook all this up and nothing works.  I will have ~6200 total channels.  All but ~50 are RGB/pixelnet.  I don't want to span universes if possible so it seems like the most logical setup is as follows.  My megatree is the largest channel count so it will be on it's own universe and use up 4080 channels of it.  I should then have 16 blank channels to complete the first universe I believe.  The rest of my items would then be on the second universe.  The attached items describe in graphic detail what I am thinking.  Do I need to add additional blank channels to the end of the second universe to complete the channel count to get to 8192 or do I just stop at my last channel...which is about 6250?  Am I missing something or way off base in my plan?

Also, if I have a Lynx Express as the first DMX item, it would actually be set to channel 1, even though the channel in Vixen is 4097.  Correct??  The DMX items would just map 4096 behind the channel number in Vixen.  So the DMX channel of an Item would be (X - 4096) where X is the channel in Vixen.  Or alternately, the channel assigned in Vixen should be X + 4096...where X is the DMX address of the item.  And using the same logic, my first smart string controller after the DMX items would be set to start at channel 51...even though it is 4148 in Vixen.  Or would it still start @ 4148??  HMMM, now I am wondering. 

TIA,
-Keith
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, by lonewolf41 »

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Channel & physical layout
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, »
Seems to be right. {quick glance over}

I guess the choice you need to decided is where does the pixelnet start on universe #2. At channel 51 or channel 513, that would depend if you want to leave any extra space for DMX channels. If you don't have any other DMX then its a mute point.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, »
I will probably leave a few spare channels...at least equal to the number of extra LE channels I have, but probably won't start pixelnet @ 513.  I guess that answers my question though, for the second universe, my first SSC on the second universe would program to 51 (or whatever the channel is after my DMX), not 4147.

Thanks,
-Keith

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, »
Good question.  This will be my first year for over 6000 channels also.  I dedicated the first 512 to dmx even though I am only using about 170.  All my pixels from last year start at 513 and go up into 3000 something.  My new pixel tree is all on universe 2 and all the SSCs have start addresses that begin with 1 and go up based on what is attached to them.  Right now I have my pixel tree and my window frames all set up in my screen / sun room and I have the window frames also set to start at 1 so I could play with Nutcracker downloads.  The pixel tree on the second hub also set to universe 1.  Getting to see some very interesting effects when running spirals on the tree and seeing them echoed on the window frames.  Once I get some sequencing completed I will switch the pixel tree over to universe 2 and take it outside after testing it inside.  But for now the connection between hubs is tested and working great.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, »
I found this after I posted...figures.   <fp.

I have the etherdongle.  I have it working on channels 1-4096.  What do I need to do to get channels 4097-8192 in the second universe to work?  What channels do I assign to the SSC's in the second universe?

I have been trying to get this to work but have been unsuccessful.

Jumper your second hub to pixelnet universe #2 and plug the ssc's for the second universe into that hub. Then in vixen it is channels 4097 - up but the sscs are set for channel 1 - 4096 .

Hope this makes sense.

RJ

Thanks,
-Keith