Author Topic: Beat track sharing  (Read 5385 times)

Offline zwiller

Beat track sharing
« on: November 19, 2012, »
I wanted to open a discussion about sharing beat tracks.  I would like to help members out that have issues getting a basic beat track for their sequence and am considering doing some and posting them here.  I wanted to see if there was some interest. 

First off I think RJ has done a awesome job keeping this place safe and sound and would like to keep it that way.  Can someone confirm that if I would files posted here would be fall under non-commercial use?  Since I only plan to share the sequence files there should be nothing to be concerned about.  Any other advice doing something like this? 

Right now I am getting pretty comfortable with LSP and plan to use it for this.  I would also like to keep the technical aspects regarding file sharing to a minimum...

Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: Beat track sharing
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, »
the sound file used will need to be clearly identified.
Artist/album/song

since many versions of lots of popular songs, and even multiple versions of the same song by the same artist.

since a beat track is essentially a one channel sequence, i don't think there would be an issue.

I'd be curious of the alignment of sequence played, to sound output on different systems to see if there would be an issue from person to person (not ever machine is equal)

but it would give a lot of people a good start on a new song.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline sebjsan

• Sebastian from California
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, »
I for one have already benefited from your beat track. My sequence is much cleaner and smoother now because of it. I just want to say thank you for doing that for me, and i for one can benefit from more. Of course posting on this site is up to RJ and the admins.
Sebastian from California

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, »
I'd be interested.  I'm horrible at beats and think I have lots of room for improvement :)

As long as you only do the sequence and not include the actual music (besides giving us the specific details) I would think it would be fine.  After all you are helping the community.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Mike Hill

• Here to learn
Beat track sharing
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, »
I'm very interested in sharing beat tracks.
Mike Hill
First display date 11-2011
"Never explain your actions, your enemies don't believe it and your friends don't need it."

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, »
Go for it.  Are you talking about posting a whole sequence or only a one track sequence consisting of a beat track.  I for one prefer the sequence, but album artist/artist/song is a must.  This is my 6th year and I still have been unable to create a new sequence that was worthwhile.  Last year I just took a song and did color and RGB effect changes every 20 seconds.  Surprisingly most people liked it, maybe because of the RGB effects.  I started that sequence just to learn and test my RGB nodes, but it turned out pretty good although I was up to version 6 by mid December.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline zwiller

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, »
No doubt there could be some hiccups with edited songs.  What we can do is reference the song, artist, and album and elapsed time to minimize this issue.  I think it might be wise to link the mp3 used in Amazon.  That way, if the mp3 you have does not match up then you can grab the right one.  Not 100% it will be perfect but who knows? 

Thanks Sebastian.  Glad you could use it. 

Right now I am just thinking of posting a .msq file with intervals on the beat.  I just tried one and it went well.  Included will be 2 channels with images of mini trees so I could test view and make sure it was on the beat.  Waiting for a computer guru to pitch in to convert to vixen.  Thought I remember a workaround with LOR or something.

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, »
isn't this sorta trying to be implemented in nutcracker?

Offline zwiller

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, »
Beat tracks or the conversion of LSP files to vixen?  I really would like to understand Nutcracker but too focused on learning LSP. 

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
Beat track sharing
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, »
Msq file you can use light elf to convert to xlights and the xlights to vixen.  Or you can just export to Lms from lsp and use xlights to convert to vixen.  Multiple ways to get there.   I myself use lsp so msq works for me.

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, »
Beat tracks or the conversion of LSP files to vixen?  I really would like to understand Nutcracker but too focused on learning LSP.

I believe he was wanting to know everybody's show music, so that possibly the software could have predefined points in the music.
then the software could output to almost any sequencer.

I think it might make sense to go this route as you wont have to worry about "i like this song, do you have it in ABC sequencer?"

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, »
Nutcracker does not use automated beats, but timing marks (beats) that some one has defined.  Not much different that doing a beat track in vixen.  It will output defined RGB effects starting at a timing mark, but if the timing marks are off then so is everything else.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, »
Of course posting on this site is up to RJ and the admins.

Not sure why we would have an issue with it. As long as it is posted with out the music. It would be best if this is going to be done that only music that a poster could link to on like Itunes or Amazon be posted otherwise it is like most of you are saying. The stuff will not sync when the members gets a slightly different version.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline winwin

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, »
I definitely could benefit from this idea as well. It is worth a try in my opinion. Thanks!
AL.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, »
I am testing a beat track with another member now.  I didn't link an mp3 so we'll see if it works.  Hope we get lucky and it syncs well. 

Not trying to take anything away from Nutcracker and maybe Sean can use these tracks too.   

I think that odds are in our favor that the music we all own should sync.  Especially if we take note of elapsed time.  We can at least try.  I hope it works, since I own a ton of holiday music and really don't want to buy duplicate stuff. 

Sooo...  What kind of stuff do you guys want???  Maybe there will be a trend. 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, by zwiller »