Author Topic: Beat track sharing  (Read 5388 times)

Offline zwiller

Re: Beat track sharing
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2012, »
I just checked Audacity and I see that it is based on BPM.  Pretty sure the click track is mainly designed for when a musician is recording but I suppose you can get reasonably close with it after tweaking it.  There is usually some degree of drifting.  That said, as Jim points out it's not the same thing.  Apples and oranges.  A beat track done by a human will always groove better/tighter.

It looks like a lot of work to do a label track for each beat.  It doesn't take much time to do these beat tracks for me.  The work as I see it will be doing songs I don't like...   ;D 

Injury, keep scheming, it sounds like you're onto something.

Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I just checked Audacity and I see that it is based on BPM.  Pretty sure the click track is mainly designed for when a musician is recording but I suppose you can get reasonably close with it after tweaking it.  There is usually some degree of drifting.  That said, as Jim points out it's not the same thing.  Apples and oranges.  A beat track done by a human will always groove better/tighter.

It looks like a lot of work to do a label track for each beat.  It doesn't take much time to do these beat tracks for me.  The work as I see it will be doing songs I don't like...   ;D 

Injury, keep scheming, it sounds like you're onto something.

I agree that the click track only works where the beat is not varying. In Wizards in Winter , TSO uses a click track in their performance. So in that case it laid down the beats down for the entire song, with no drifting.

Other songs, you need to mark the tracks manually.

Marking the music phrases is where i am spending my time this season. These need to be done by hand. I also am a musician. I play in the VFW band, the Highlands Ranch Community band, The Littleton community band, the John Phillip Sousa band, two oechestras at church, the renaissance faire  and various solo gigs. I play flute, piccolo and recorders. As a musician and a programmer I am lookign at ways to get music data out where it can be used again.

Jim, i think you misunderstood the need for beats in Nutcracker. The label files will have music phrases and beats. The nutcracker effects will be made beat aware and allow things like having the effects on a megatree highlight the beat while you are doing bars or meteors.

It probably will be used more on the single strand effects of eaves, fire sticks, windows and arches.

Adding beat aware Nutcracker effects will be a next season task.

Marking a song into these three music classes was where i am going next year
Music phrases: The places where you would normally change an effect. Most are 5 to 10 seconds long
Beats: Every measure marked throughout the entire song. These will be used in nutcracker to do enhancements to the current effect
Notes: I plan on marking notes, note1 to note88 using the frequencies on a piano. These will be used in a nutcracker effect to place highlight effects matching a note. Like a bar effect where each bar lights up matching a descending note sequence.

By marking up a song into meta data , it has the advantage of only needing to be done once and can be shared across all the sequencers (well we could hope). The HLS sequencer has already added parsing of the Audacity label file for this seasons users.

I think all of this is more complicated than you just creating a beat track. Your method could be available to use this season and it is usable by the LSP users immediately. They also dont need Nutcracker in any way.

If you have time, i could use your help in marking up the music files i list in the xmas songs into music phrases. That would make those timing marks available for Nutcracker projects for this year. Marking up music phrases would best be done by someone who is comfortable with the music.

If interested in marking up music phrases, pm me.

thanks
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, by smeighan »
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline zwiller

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2012, »
Thanks Sean.  I really think nutcracker and be put to good use with LSP.  You've got alot of great effects LSP can't touch.  I plan to import some things into my sequences when I get my show done and up.

Long time rocker here.  I play all things but took instructions for drums so that explains my fixation with all things beat. 

It's kind of interesting but I planned on a progression of things too.  I know that basically everyone wants to buy sequences.  I actually thought about starting something up but at this point I want to go the same direction as you and RJ. 

In my mind we get 10-30 songs beat tracked.  Then later I add 8 tracks for notes that make the song.  Kind of like the columns/keyboard riff here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

This song is not for everybody but it basically 90% beat track.  This will give an idea of what you can do with a basically just a beat track. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2012, »
Got the file that Zwiller sent me converted from LSP to Xlights xseq using the Light Elf tool.  Then used xlights to convert to Vixen 2.1.  Loaded it into Vixen, attached my 2011 profile (since it has a preview) and played the beat track.  Looks good to me, but what do I know about beat tracks or music.  Just call me low music, but not low tech.  LOL.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline zwiller

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2012, »
Care to try a beat track for Feliz Navidad?  I tried with other members and they found their existing mp3 worked fine.  I do have a revised beat track for an amazon mp3 with link that I will post later if this goes well.  Just trying to learn dropbox and see how this beat track sharing will work... 

Please provided some feed back.  Thanks. 

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline sebjsan

• Sebastian from California
Beat track sharing
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2012, »
Now that's my kind of song :). I will try later. Still waking up. Thanks Sam
Sebastian from California