Author Topic: No lights on MagicJack - ** SOLVED **  (Read 8392 times)

Offline tthompson

No lights on MagicJack - ** SOLVED **
« on: November 20, 2012, »
So I have this friend who was having problems getting their EtherDongle working.  It seems that all the solders were correct and good, but no ethernet lights were coming on the MagicJack lights.  It did not matter if cross-over cable was used, hub, or otherwise.

It turns out that my friend had misplaced the silver oscillators which took considerable time to unsolder from the board.

once he swapped those, everything worked great.

Just documenting so you don't make the same mistake my friend made.

Happy Lighting.

TimT.

Offline sittinguphigh

Re: No lights on MagicJack - ** SOLVED **
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, »
What is this about the MagicJack has a light on it?
My etherdongle, SSC and smart strings do not work.
I have no luck figuring out what the problem is.
What you don't know. Can hurt you.

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
Re: No lights on MagicJack - ** SOLVED **
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, »
Sittinguphigh,

The Magjack connector has two leds built into the outside rim of the RJ-45 connector (this Magjack is the silver connector on the left side of the ETD when looking at it).  The one on the right is green and indicates power.  The one on the left is yellow and flashes to indicate communication.

So, when looking at the ETD Magjack connector, if you have no lights at all, this means (probably) you are not getting any power to the unit and to the Magjack in particular.  Troubleshooting : check solders for bridges, check solders for mis solder and solder problems, make sure unit is plugged in and the wall wart is plugged in.

If you have a green light, but no yellow flashing or yellow at all, this probably means you have a comm error between your computer and the ETD.  Toubleshooting:  Try replacing the cable, check PC/Laptop to see if the wired connection is showing something in the 169 range for the IP address, try connecting via a 'cross-connect' cable (as your PC may not auto negotiate straight connected network cables -- this is more prevalent in older computers), make sure your network adapter is working on your computer.

If you have a green light and the yellow flashes intermittently, then the Magjack is probably working correctly.  Look elsewhere for your issue if you are having issues with the ETD still.

Kurt
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login