Author Topic: Trouble with Lynx Express - Test works, DMX LED on, no blinky with show running  (Read 2085 times)

Offline sielbear

I built 4 of these this year.  I'm only using 1 at the moment.  I looked through the posts and I've not found a solution yet.  Any help troubleshooting would be appreciated!

I'm using an Etherdongle / and xLights to test.  I'm going out to Pixelnet Active Hub 1, to Pixelnet Active Hub 2.  From the Active Hub 2 (universe 2 on pixel net, DMX universe 1 so channels 1 - 512 on Pixelnet Universe 2 receives DMX data) I go to all of my DMX devices.  The first device is the Lynx Express I'm having issues with.  I'm going to the DMX In, and I pass data on through DMX Output 1. 

I have programmed the Lynx Express to use channel 465 as the start address.  The Express displays 465 at power up after scrolling Lynx Express 60HZ.  I have both 3.3V and 5V LEDs illuminated.  Additionally I see DMX LED illuminated when the input cable is connected.  I have the Wireless Jumper in place (i.e., I'm NOT using wireless, so the jumper is connecting the two pins together).  I am not getting any LEDs to illuminate, nor am I getting any of the connected lights to illuminate.

I can perform a test from the Lynx Express and the self test runs perfectly.  All light strings light up as expected. 

I feel like this has to be something simple as the lights are illuminating with a hardware test AND the DMX light illuminates when the cable is connected. 

Thoughts?

Offline frankr

• Rocklin Lights
Hi Alan,

Do you have other DMX devices working successfully in this setup?

Frank

Offline sielbear

Yes - I have 9 other DMX based controllers working without issue.  All running on a pass-through signal from the Lynx Express.

Offline frankr

• Rocklin Lights
 :-\ This sounds like a fun one... I do not know if the RS485 chip is in the circuit to the DMX outputs but I would think it is.  It might be worth swapping that chip for another or looking at the solder on that chip to make sure it is solid.  Next would be investigate the pins on the PIC.  If the signal is not making it from the RS485 to the PIC that would cause the type of problem you are describing.  Everything from the pic down works but the pic appears "deaf"...

Edit: When I say "investigate the pins" I mean the solder again... I don't know the schematic of the express but if you do checking continuity from the right pin the RS 485 to the right pin on the pic would be a good thing to test... (not that I can tell you which pins that would be...)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, by frankr »

Offline sielbear

Good thought. As I understand it, DMX out 2 is regenerated. I may test output 2 to see if that portion of the circuit is functioning first. Ugh- don't want to have to remove the board, but there are worse things I suppose!!

Offline frankr

• Rocklin Lights
If your lucky you can just swap the chip...

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
if you have devices connected after the LE, connect them via DMX OUT 2 to see if the other devices work.

if the hub's PIC is not programmed, then pixelnet on that hub WILL work, but DMX will NOT work.

you could try swapping the 485 chip near the ISCP on the active hub, with one of the 5 above the 16 pixelnet outputs
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline frankr

• Rocklin Lights
You mention that you have a couple other LEs you are not using yet right?  If so you could examine the traces and take some continuity tests from the rs485 to the pic and see what is supposed to have continuity.  That way you can test the deployed unit in place.  (Just remember to unplug power first...)

Offline sielbear

I know I'm getting good DMX out from the hub or my DMX devices (other than the Lynx) would not be functioning correctly.

Does the DMX LED indicate that DMX is being received and interpreted by the Express or does it essentially show connectivity?  I'm definitely getting the DMX LED illuminated on the express. 

Offline DanHouston

So let me make sure I understand:

DMX out of HUB into 1st LE.
Other DMX devices handing off of DMX Out 1 in 1st LE.

1st LE is not wokring, but the other DMX devices hanging off the 1st LE are working?

If the above is correct, my first guess would be that the PIC on your 1st LE is not programmed. I had one from a couple of coops ago that the test worked, but it seemed slow comparted to my other LE (I did not test it with xLights)...I reflashed the PIC and the test ran as expected (nice and fast).

Hmmm...I hate to ask this, but I have to....You do have channels 465-481 doing something in xLights, right?
2011 - Year #1
    4000 lights and 16 channels
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    5000 lights and 123 channels
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline sielbear

I do, but I'm going to re-check the programming.

Your description of the setup is 100% accurate.

I'm going to try and re-flash the pic tonight to see if that helps. I haven't had as much time to test things as I've been behind with the sequencing.