Author Topic: Single Power input Mod  (Read 3165 times)

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: Single Power input Mod
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, »
ironically, I had to do the normal mod to one of my expresses.  the screw wouldn't release on one side to accept a wire...
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Ron,
Those are thick wires. How do you get the terminal to clamp down tight on such a large twisted pair?

I thnk it looks thicker than it is.  I've been getting a utility cord, or something like that, at Home Depot that is just the 2 wire plug.  It has a pretty thick sheath, but the internal wires are not too thick.  I'm actually not sure at the moment what the gauge is because I don't have one handy. 

Really the terminals for the power input are pretty big.  I think they would take a much larger wire than what I've been using.

Ron

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This is electricity we are talking about so take this advice with that in mind (my disclaimer).

I've never done the mod that is show in the build manual because it is a bit more permanent than I prefer.  I just run a jumper cable from the left power input to the right power input.  Basically I cut a piece of the power cord off the main power cord that is long enough to run from left to right and connect that between the two power input terminals.  Then if I want to power an LE with max power and 2 inputs I just unscrew, pull out the jumper and install a second power cord.  Quick and easy.

I've been doing this since V2 of the LE (did RJ even release v1?) and it has worked without fail.

Ron

+1 I use a short piece of spt2 with tinned ends.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA