Author Topic: Need Light Project Guidance  (Read 2034 times)

Offline vividlily

Need Light Project Guidance
« on: November 20, 2012, »
Hi all,
I am new to this forum and also kind of new in light automation DIY.
As Christmas is coming, I am making a light project for this special occasion. Well, this forum has strong Christmas atmosphere, which is a great appeal.
I am planning to make a project like this You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, which is pretty cool to me.
But it's also a little complicated for a starter.
I am wondering how to make similar one but is not so complicated. Has anyone made one of this kind before?
Any input would be helpful.
Thanks

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Need Light Project Guidance
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, »
Its not that hard.

Get one Lynx USB dongle and at least on Lynx Express (LE)

Connect the Lynx Dongle to your USB port on your computer and then use a cat5 cable from the dongle to the LE. That gives you 16 channels to control lights with. Its also expands to 512 channels just by adding LE's. You can control the above with a free program (see Vixen or HLS)

The LE has 16 outputs that you plug your lights into. You can have multi strands of lights per channel

Quick Wire diagram
Computer --- USB cable ---- Lynx Dongle ---- Cat5 cable -----LE ---- Lights

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

sjb

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, »
If you post a message in the new members introduction you will also have access to alot more info on the forum and it might help out.

Steve (from Edmonton)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, by sjb »

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, »
You might not want to keep pointing people to the USB dongle.  Although that WAS the goto device for the forum for years, it really is becoming a device of the past.  If you can pick up a used one cheep then maybe, but the EtherDongle is really the way to go.  Not much more money, and a world more flexability.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, »
You might not want to keep pointing people to the USB dongle.  Although that WAS the goto device for the forum for years, it really is becoming a device of the past.  If you can pick up a used one cheep then maybe, but the EtherDongle is really the way to go.  Not much more money, and a world more flexability.

You are correct but I was going for quick and easy setup.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required