Author Topic: one channel is dim  (Read 1708 times)

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
one channel is dim
« on: November 23, 2012, »
so i'm putting out all my equipment and i have two issues so far. one issue is that while out testing my le's, i notice that some of the channels never go all the way off. they stay real dim between songs. the second issue i have is one of my controllers has a dim channel. when i go into test channels on vixen and select all, one channel is dim. it goes up and down in intensity but at full on it's still not as bright as the others.

duane
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline tbone321

Re: one channel is dim
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, »
What are you connecting to these channels?
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
What are you connecting to these channels?

half wave led. sorry

duane
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, by duane.mosley »
Florence, KY

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, »
LED's are low current devices and Triac's leak.  I would try increasing the load on those channels by hanging a string of icans on the end of those strings and see what happens.  As for the one channel not fully turning on, that could one of many issues.  First, I would try swapping a few strings to confirm that it is the channel and not the string.  Next I would look at possibly reflashing the PIC to make sure it doesn't have a weird curve on that channel.  It is unlikely that the opto is an issue but you can swap two of them as well.  A damaged triac could also be causing this issue but the only way to confirm that would be to replace it.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, »
I'd also try just rotating the LED string power plug. Many strings of half wave LEDs are polarity sensitive.

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, »
LED's are low current devices and Triac's leak.  I would try increasing the load on those channels by hanging a string of icans on the end of those strings and see what happens.  As for the one channel not fully turning on, that could one of many issues.  First, I would try swapping a few strings to confirm that it is the channel and not the string.  Next I would look at possibly reflashing the PIC to make sure it doesn't have a weird curve on that channel.  It is unlikely that the opto is an issue but you can swap two of them as well.  A damaged triac could also be causing this issue but the only way to confirm that would be to replace it.

i guess i will get some incans, kinda works out because i am not happy with the amount of each color on the bushes in question

i will start with reflashing the pic and hope that does it.

thanks for the fast replies.

duane

Florence, KY

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, »
I'd also try just rotating the LED string power plug. Many strings of half wave LEDs are polarity sensitive.

i will try that first. thanks

duane
Florence, KY

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, »
i did forget to mention that the same type of light strings on a different controller are fine.
Florence, KY

Offline rm357

one channel is dim
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, »
How about the same string on a different channel...

For the LEDs that don't go all the way off, make sure the program you are using for sequencing has those channels at 0.
Also make sure the plugs are not wet
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA