Author Topic: Nutcracker: Please check your frame delay values  (Read 1114 times)

Offline smeighan

• Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
meighan.net was at 22 gigbytes out of the 25 gbyte limit for my account.

In looking at effects in the database, I cam across a user who set frame_delay to 1. This means 1ms.

His 5 second animation produced 5000 dat files and used alot of disk space.

No one should have frame timing of 1 ms. In fact, i may have to implement that no one can have frame timing of less than 50ms on meighan.net. If you want shorter times, do a local install.

I will be doing my shows with 100ms timing, maybe 50ms.

On an RGB device where i am creating 7200 channels for my megatree per frame. 100ms to 1 ms means the files produces are 100 times larger.

I have gone thru and changed any effects that had 0, 1, .5 ms timings, i set them to 10ms.

These small timings cannot be what you were expecting.

Please review your timings on effects.

Remember, I am prompting you for frame timing in milliseconds, not centiseconds.

thanks
sean
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline injury

Re: Nutcracker: Please check your frame delay values
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, »
I don't think most sequencing software goes lower than 25 ms anyways.

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, »
I wonder if the erroneous values could be because of vagueness of the sequence timing prompt in a couple of effects.  I think they say frame delay or something like that.  The first time I saw that, I thought..."I want it to start right away and If I can't put in 0, then I need to use 1".  It took me a little bit to realize that this was actually your sequence timing value, not something else...like a delay before your effect started or something.  It confused me at first, so maybe it happens to others.  Or again...maybe I am just too stupid to use the software.   :o ;D

My $0.02,
-Keith

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, »
lonewolf,

You make a good point.  This should have verbiage similar to what the sequencers use.  Delay should not be part of this attributes name.  Frame Size, Frame Rate, or the like would be better.  Sean, what do you think?  (probably not going to change until after this season, though, as frame_delay is used throughout most of the code!)

Kurt
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline smeighan

• Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
lonewolf,

You make a good point.  This should have verbiage similar to what the sequencers use.  Delay should not be part of this attributes name.  Frame Size, Frame Rate, or the like would be better.  Sean, what do you think?  (probably not going to change until after this season, though, as frame_delay is used throughout most of the code!)

Kurt

frame_delay is the internal variable name. I think the confusion would be in how i prompt for this value.

Currently it says

"Delay between frames (in ms) (1-1000. 50 is typical):
This delay will be used when building the animated GIF AND when producing the xml output files."

I will change it to this

Frame Timing (Before i called this Frame Delay). How long is each frame of your sequence. in ms.

This timing is called various things in the different sequencers:

VIXEN:   "How much time should be in between timings"
LOR:        "Event Period. The event period is how long a single on/off event lasts"
LSP:        "Intervals. How far apart should default intervals be created?"
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, by smeighan »
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login