Author Topic: PICIT 2 hook up  (Read 2623 times)

Offline bob81354

PICIT 2 hook up
« on: November 25, 2012, »
Hi to all
I just finished my first DMX Lynx USB Dongle and i bought the pickit 2 it came with a usb wire I can not see how to hook it to the DMX Lynx USB Dongle board to program and to the L Express board
do i need to get some thing else
sorry for the ED and i put it in thee wrong place
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, by bob81354 »

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
Re: PICIT 2 hook up
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, »
I regret to inform you that the Pickit 2 does not support the Pic chip used in EtherDongle. :(
But I have both. I use the Pickit 2 for everything but ED. I like Pickit 2 better.

But when you get a Pickit 3 it will connect to the 6 pin ICSP connector on ED. You may need to get a male to male header and a six connector ribbon cable. Although genuine Pickit 3 usually come with them.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, by dpitts »

Offline rm357

PICIT 2 hook up
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, »
For the older equipment like the USB dongle, mr16, and ssr4, you have to program the pics before inserting in the device.

J1sys makes some universal adapters, but for my first one I just used an old piece of breadboard and some old sockets. The information for which pins on the pic to hook to which pins on the pickit are available on the microchip website. The info is buried in the PDF files for the specific pic you are trying to program. I haven't looked, but this info is probably on the wiki...

Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline caretaker

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, »
Also check in the WIKI to see if there is someone in your area that can program your PIC for your USB dongle, if your Lynx Express is newer it should have a ISCP header that the PICKit 2 plugs into.  Otherwise the PIC universal adapter boards from J1sys work well and if you plan on getting a EtherDongle you may want to consider getting a PICKit 3 as the PICKit 2 will not program the new PIC's
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, »
For the USB dongle you need a adapter board like the others have said.

Here is the wiki link You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

For the LE you can just plug in the Pickit2 right to the board. The assembly manual at the bottom shows how its done.

Hope that helps

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, »
I regret to inform you that the Pickit 2 does not support the Pic chip used in EtherDongle. :(
But I have both. I use the Pickit 2 for everything but ED. I like Pickit 2 better.

But when you get a Pickit 3 it will connect to the 6 pin ICSP connector on ED. You may need to get a male to male header and a six connector ribbon cable. Although genuine Pickit 3 usually come with them.

I do believe that he said USB dongle, not the EtherDongle.  The USB dongle does not have a header and the PIC needs to be placed onto an adapter board.  J1sys sells them but if you are in a hurry, you could possibly send the PIC to one of the people on the WIKI list that are willing to program i for you while you are waiting for your adapter board.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
Re: Re: PICIT 2 hook up
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, »

I do believe that he said USB dongle, not the EtherDongle.  The USB dongle does not have a header and the PIC needs to be placed onto an adapter board.  J1sys sells them but if you are in a hurry, you could possibly send the PIC to one of the people on the WIKI list that are willing to program i for you while you are waiting for your adapter board.
He edited original post.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, »
Fair enough.  That's why in many cases I quote the origional post for my own state of mind.  This way, if someone edits a post that I responded to I know if my response was correct for the question asked at the time.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving