Author Topic: SSR4 Resistor Burned  (Read 1745 times)

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
SSR4 Resistor Burned
« on: November 25, 2012, »
I have an SSR4 DMX version that one of the 180 ohm resistors fried on today.  I don't think it could be the opto coupler, so I'm thinking it has to be a bad Triac.  Does that seem reasonable?  That's pretty much all that is left to check.

Offline tbone321

Re: SSR4 Resistor Burned
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, »
It could be the triac.  Sometimes when they fail they draw the full load thru the gate which is what the 180 ohm resistor is connected to. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, »
That's what I was thinking.  Just reread and forgot to say I replaced the resistor first since it was easiest and I could find another one.  The new one burned too.

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, »
Check the soldering on the triacs.  They are connected to traces with a lot of copper on them and it can be tough to get a good solder joint,  If the triac is not connected, all the current will flow through the opto and 180R resistor.
/mike

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Check the soldering on the triacs.  They are connected to traces with a lot of copper on them and it can be tough to get a good solder joint,  If the triac is not connected, all the current will flow through the opto and 180R resistor.
/mike

This is the normal reason this happens. I have seen it a couple of times and it was always because of a bad connection. on the triac.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, »
I'll check that later but I think this one has worked the past couple of years.  Just started acting up I believe.  Any way to test the Triac?

Offline tbone321

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, »
There really is no need to test it.  Unless one of the joints has failed, the Triac has to be bad.  I would use your ohm meter and check to make sure that the solder joints are ok and if they are, then the triac is toast.  I would probably replace the opto as well since it took a few hard hits as well.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, »
Mike and RJ got it right.  Shoddy soldering on my part after a closer look.  Fixed the resistor and retouched the Triac and all appears to be working well.

I can also say I love my Bobcat DMX tester, great tool.

Thanks gentlemen for your help.

Ron