Author Topic: SSC control location  (Read 750 times)

Offline gatorengineer

• Facebook link
SSC control location
« on: November 26, 2012, »
I have a question where I can put my SSC in relation to my active hub.

What I need to know is the possible problems.  In RJ's video, he is very concerned about voltage drop.  If that is the only concern, then unless the voltage is not 12 volts after the SSC, there is no issue. 

So, My question is very direct.  Is there a KNOWN performance issue between running the cat 5 cable a distance of 'X' feet before the SSC or the same distance of cat 5 cable running after the SSC and finally connecting to the smart string?

I understand running 1000' creates problems.  I know that I will have to connect the wire differently than originally designed.  I'm sure there are other problems with the connection, but I'm only concerned about performance issue only.

Same thing said a different way:

If I need to run the start of the string 70 feet away, is there a difference between the 70' of cat 5 cable being AFTER the SSC compared with 70' of cat 5 running to a remote location, then to a SSC, then immediately to the smart string?

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
Re: SSC control location
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, »
There is a huge difference. 70 feet before SSC is acceptable. 70 feet after SSC will not work. I havee been running several SSC controllers at 100 feet away from hub. I do no know the limit on how far an SSC can be away from hub because I have not needed to be over 100 feet away.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, »
I think in RJ's video where he is out in his yard talking about his megatree using Smartstrings he mentioned he had run 100' before the ssc without problems. I think 6' is the max after the ssc and that is if using the v3 mod. I know the v2 mod would cause problems if over about 2'. Look for the video to be sure.

Offline gatorengineer

• Facebook link
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, »
Thanks, that answers my question.