Author Topic: Nutcracker: Horizontal Matrix Target. Who needs it?  (Read 766 times)

Offline smeighan

• Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
I have a prototyped a solution for having a horizontal target on Nutcracker.

Before, I implement this I need to know how you have built your horizontal targets.

If you need a horizontal matrix in Nutcracker, please reply to this post and answer the following questions

How many strings and pixels?
Example 16x50

Where is string1,  pixel 1 located?
Example bottom left, top left, bottom right, top right

Do you fold your strings into multiple rows?
Example: yes, 2 folds per string.

If the folds dont produce an even division, what do you do with the extra pixels?
Example: 8x50 folded 3 times would make each string into 3 rows (48 pixels) with 2 left over.
Answers: could be, i cutoff the extra pixels, i continue wrapping them causing pixel 1 of the next string to start to move along the target.

with these questions, i think i can get some of you a horizontal matrix target this week.

thanks
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
Re: Nutcracker: Horizontal Matrix Target. Who needs it?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have a prototyped a solution for having a horizontal target on Nutcracker.

Before, I implement this I need to know how you have built your horizontal targets.

If you need a horizontal matrix in Nutcracker, please reply to this post and answer the following questions

How many strings and pixels?
Example 16x50

Where is string1,  pixel 1 located?
Example bottom left, top left, bottom right, top right

Do you fold your strings into multiple rows?
Example: yes, 2 folds per string.

If the folds dont produce an even division, what do you do with the extra pixels?
Example: 8x50 folded 3 times would make each string into 3 rows (48 pixels) with 2 left over.
Answers: could be, i cutoff the extra pixels, i continue wrapping them causing pixel 1 of the next string to start to move along the target.

with these questions, i think i can get some of you a horizontal matrix target this week.

thanks

I plan on building one for my Tune To message (next year). 

How many - 8 strings 100 pixels
Where is pix 1 - top left
Do you fold - Yes 1 fold per string (turns into a 16 x 50 matrix)
extra pixels - dont have any so DNC. My opinion would be to continue the string like you do for single strand effects (so treat a series of strings as a 'mega string' and have the user set a 'width' pixel value). 

For example in my case, I would define my 'strings as 8 x 100.  My 'megastring would be 800 pixels.  My width would be 50 pixels and the horizontal model would calculate this as 16 segments with a left to right, right to left ordering (where odd segements are l 2 r and even segments are r 2 l).

Make sense?

Kurt
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, »
Thanks for asking Sean

How many - 4 strings 120 pixels
Where is pix 1 -top left is fine or bottom right while facing matrix.  Either would be fine and I could see a need for both.
Do you fold - Yes 3 folds per string controller. I will explain I am using 30 pixel rigid Smart Strings. I just place 4 of these in series for a 120 string per controller.
extra pixels - No extra pixels

For example  would define my matrix as 16 sets of 30pixels rigid strips in order to keep everything OCD with exact spacing of 1 1/4 inches between all pixels.  Each 4 pack of rigid will be in a Z shape and stacked.

again thank you for all you are doing for us.

Kevin   

Offline urthegman

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, »
Too late for me to use this year but 10 strings x 90 nodes, string 1 pixel 1 is top left with no folds. Thanks Sean and Ken!!!!