Author Topic: SSC won't program but runs test mode fine  (Read 4218 times)

Offline zwiller

SSC won't program but runs test mode fine
« on: November 26, 2012, »
Tried reflashing many times and get correct checksum, a new 485, a new pic, and no solder issues that I can see.  No blinking flashing for successful program...  I assumed if test mode runs I was golden...

How would you go about fixing?  Any thoughts? 

THANKS
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline einstein2883

• Beta Tester
Re: SSC won't program but runs test mode fine
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, »
We are going to need a little more info.   What version SSC?  EtherDongle or USB?

Offline zwiller

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, »
I suppose that would be helpful.   ;D

SSC v1 modded v3 first edition (tm)  >:D  Etherdongle flashed pixelnet.

Having successfully built and modded 17 other SSC's this is the only bad guy.  He just needs to come out of his shell... 

It wouldn't be bad to keep flashed for test on the bench but I need it. 

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, »
Test firmware proves that the SSC is getting power and the light connected to it are working.

It doesn't prove that the SSC is receiving information. I would check to see if the data lines in are solder correctly.

I am going to assume since the other SSCs work than the rest of your hardware is working (computer, dongle, hub)

So that just leaves the pigtail and wire in and the input side of the SSC, right?

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline einstein2883

• Beta Tester
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, »
It could also be a bad solder joint on the data pins on the hub.  If you can use the same port and cat5 cable from a known good SSC.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, »
When I had this I reheated all my ssc solder points on the board and it fixed it.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2.

Offline sebjsan

• Sebastian from California
SSC won't program but runs test mode fine
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, »
I had a similar issue and I found I mixed my pigtail wires.
Sebastian from California

Offline urthegman

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, »
Do you have a stand alone pic programmer like the one in the picture that you can try?

Offline tbone321

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, »
That is not the programming that he is talking about.  The socket you are displaying will work for flashing the PIC and since he can load the test firmware, flashing the PIC is not an issue.  Where he is having an issue is configuring the controller which indicates that it isn't receiving data.  If it is not receiving data to set the controller, it probably would not receive data to run the show either.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline zwiller

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, »
Thanks for ideas guys.  After scavenging a pic from a LE I am not using, I have another SSC to replace this one with but I still want this fixed. 

Rest of hardware is OK.  I swapped between a good one and this one on same hub output, so it's not hub.  I checked the data lines a million times.  They're correct.  (I was hoping on this one!)  Reflowed the joints.  No dice. 

I decided to pick it up and the low voltage regulator was REAL HOT.  I see no bridges anywhere etc.  I'd like to think it is a bad LD33 but unsure.  Any ideas now?  As fate would have it I have a LD33 from my 12V hub supply kit...  I assume there is a

Offline tbone321

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, »
The first thing I would look at is the pigtail and make sure that there is no shorts betewwn the data leads or the data and ground.  Also make sure that there isn't an open wire on the data leads.  We know that the the power leads are making connection or even the test firmware wouldn't work. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline einstein2883

• Beta Tester
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, »
Not sure about the hot regulator…Yet.  Here are a few pins to check, if you have a meter.
First un-plug the cat5 cable, and measure the ohm’s across the data pins, it should be 120. Next measure between the following pins to see that you have 0 ohm’s.
data1 - pin6 on 485 chip
data2 - pin7 on 485 chip
pin1 on 485 chip – pin17 on the big chip

Offline zwiller

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, »
No shorts on data/ground and continuity OK from all lines jack to pcb.  Thought that was it the pigtail...

I assume that pin 1 is the dot on upper left and pins run in order vertically from top to bottom, left first then right. 

measure the ohm’s across the data pins, it should be 120.

YES

Next measure between the following pins to see that you have 0 ohm’s.

data1 - pin6 on 485 chip > NO; 120 OHMS

data2 - pin7 on 485 chip > NO; 120 OHMS

pin1 on 485 chip – pin17 on the big chip- pin7 on 485 chip > YES

I also measured a working unit and had the same results...

Offline einstein2883

• Beta Tester
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, »
Sorry...Yes Pin1 is by the dot and you count in a U shape (Down, Across, Up).  I think now it's time for pictures of the board (front and back).

Offline zwiller

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, »
Thanks so far.

Before I tested I looked at the data sheet in Mouser but no pin out info there.  Anyway, using the U shape pin count I rechecked and got 0 ohms on the 485 measurements.  Not exactly 0 but very close to 0 (like .0005)  So OK there. 

Pics attached for public humiliation and viewing enjoyment...