Author Topic: MR16 Power Supply connections... Help....  (Read 1953 times)

Offline Jasonlnlv

MR16 Power Supply connections... Help....
« on: November 27, 2012, »
Using a 12V computer power supply - does anyone have info on how to connect the 'motherboard' connector to the 2 terminals on the MR16?

Offline hicksjo

Re: MR16 Power Supply connections... Help....
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, »
if you don't mind cutting the plastic connectors off, you can combine as many 12V+ (yellow on my PS) leads together as possible and connect this to your 12V+ lead on MR16

do same with as many COM (black on my PS) leads as possible and connect to GND on MR16

if you want to keep the plastic connectors intact, you can get the mating (male) pieces from an electronics supply store and solder lead wires from male pins to your MR 16 ... again matching 12V+ on PS to MR16 12V+ and COM on PS to GND on MR16
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, by hicksjo »

Offline hicksjo

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, »
also - you will need to jumper the PS ON wire (green on my PS) on PS to a COM wire (black on my PS)

just realized color schemes may vary from PS to PS, so check documentation on yours before using my colors

need to ID which leads are 12V+, COM or GND, and PS ON

Offline Jasonlnlv

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, »
Looks like on my PS I have 1 yellow (+12v) wire and 7 black (ground) wires. And the 1 green PS on wire. Should all 7 gnd wires and the green wire be soldered together and connected to the GND on the MR16 and the 1 yellow to the +12v ?

And the other wires just tucked away safely - they are the 5v and 3.3v And -12v ?

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, »
I stay away from telling people how to convert atx power supplies in case something goes wrong.

also, i can point out, that your power supply has more than one 12v (yellow) wire   (the drive cables)

i can point you to this page...   but it's at your own risk.  dangerous voltages are present in a power supply (even when it's unplugged)

I can't confirm that it works, and your mileage may vary.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!