Author Topic: Rework on The MR 16  (Read 2823 times)

Offline mmais68569

Rework on The MR 16
« on: November 27, 2012, »
I am using one in my show this year & had some thoughts on how to make them more user friendly.
1 add a Dip switch or LED display like Express to set address
2 Replace current terminals with screw terminals like on the Express
3 Possible addition of a wireless antenna but not a big deal if not. I am using a TX/RX & it is working great.

If I am out of bounds with this post delete. Just my thoughts on some updates.

Merry Christmas
          Mike

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Rework on The MR 16
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, »
I really don't see the MR16 getting a display. It would require a whole new board and the same pic as the LE

Asking for changes is not out of bounds.

Of course only RJ can decide if its worth a new board for the MR16

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline zwiller

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, »
It does seem like the MR16 is back in style...  I am indifferent about the start address but the spade terminal connectors have not been easy to find locally...  I have yet to find a place except Fastenal ($16 for 100 connectors) that sells just the female connectors.  Every other place wants $3 for a assorted spade connectors 3-4 of which are the correct size.  The screw terminals might be a good idea.  I am contemplating soldering Ray's connectors to the spade lugs or even directly to pcb and not installing spades on new units.  Whatever changes are made, the key is to keep it the same footprint so it can be mounted together with a power supply in the CG1500.   

Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, »
You can find the female only ends on Ebay cheap.

Mike

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, »
I mounted 2 in a case that we use for the expresses (I think it's the C1500) , put 5 pig tails on each one and turned them into a 5 line DMX Dumb String Controller. Feeding +12 volts out across 1 set of the 2 wires and then 3 sets of 2 wires for the 3 negative lines. Seem to work pretty well.
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, »
I find spade connectors on eBay.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, »
My point was the locality of the connectors.  Sure they can found online.  Now that I think about it, I think they should include the connectors in the COOP for guys like me who leave the kit alone for months and solder it up right around showtime and need connectors...   ;D
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, »
I was buying them buy the back full when I was building LOR controllers.  I do know how expensive they are when you buy them locally.  Of all my controllers left in my yard, the only LOR controllers are my original 4 DC models.  They are not DIY, but I have to say they are beautiful compared to the LOR CTB16PC and they are playing well with all their LE friends and ED.