Author Topic: Data Link LED barely on  (Read 9055 times)

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
Re: Data Link LED barely on
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2012, »
Before going forward, start the sequence editor and see if the green light comes on.  I don't have a machine to test my dongle with at the moment.  The manual says the green LED lights when it receives a DMX single. 

The driver setup information is under the initial setup section as well and you may want to re-install it.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Initial Setup

Is there any chance you could post a screen shot of your network window for both the LOR tab and DMX.  I think you are very close to getting it.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2012, »
If he is not using wireless, it seems to me he shouldn't remove a jumper called "Remove for wireless" because I would think that would make the board run in wireless mode. Am I wrong as I don't have that board?

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2.

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2012, »
My bad.  I got mixed up on another thought.  Sorry.  The wireless jumper should be on unless you have a wireless unit attached.  The terminator should be on for the last unit.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, by Jeffl »

Offline keitha43

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2012, »
On the terminator, wouldn't you terminate the last controller if using more than one controller or if using a single controller? Sorry I don't have any experience with that particular board but do have other dmx equipment.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2.

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2012, »
I just got myself an Mtn Dew.  Yes the terminator should be on for one unit, or the last unit.  I fixed the previous post.

Time for someone else to take over.  I'm doing more harm than good now.  ::)

Offline zaccutt

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2012, »
Here is screen shots of both tabs.

I have tried reinstalling the driver, the links in the wiki do not work but I found them through a search and I loaded the CDM driver file which ran a quick program and then it disappears as though it was successful.

I had the wireless jumper and the terminator jumper on the whole beginning trying to set this up. I will try it again.

Zac

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2012, »
The DMX screen looks correct.

Offline zaccutt

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2012, »
Test jumper on dongle is removed also. So the dongle is not sending out a DMX signal because there is no green LED which means some setting is wrong? How do I check if the device is flashed for DMX rather than pixelnet?

Zac

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2012, »
Without a Pickit programmer I'm not sure you can.

Anyone else have an idea?

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2012, »
Post your LMS file here so we can take a look at your configuration.

Zip it then attach to a post.
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline zaccutt

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2012, »
Hi,

I am just using a test sequence to just get some life outta the LE. I then have to configure all of my channels in my sequences. The animation sequence is attached.

Thanks

Offline zaccutt

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2012, »
Today is my final set up day! Hoping to get the rest of the controllers out. If you have any ideas please let me know, I will try anything. All of your help is greatly appreciated.

I guess the main problem is the dmx dongle is not sending out dmx, which would mean  LOR S3 is probably not sending out signal to it. When I used the list utility it states the dmx dongle is on com 5. Lor is on com 4. The listener shows the lynx connection is accepted. I tried dmx deck however it crashes when I start it..

I just tried testing it in xlights with various settings to no avail. Green LED on dongle is still off.

Zac
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, by zaccutt »

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2012, »
The Lynx USB DMX dongle will connect and show perfectly in LOR even if the PIC chip is "not programmed" or programmed for Pixelnet. On your LOR DMX config screen, you can clearly see the unique 8 digit "code" for your Lynx dongle. The sad thing is, that will be seen whether the dongle works or not. :(

I'm not sure where you got that Lynx dongle, but without the green light, it isn't putting out anything (DMX or Pixelnet).

Now, you can use just the LOR adapter, but you will have to run any LOR controllers in DMX mode and use converters between any LOR controllers and Lynx controllers. Depending on your wiring layout, that could be a single converter or it could be MANY.

In my Universe 1, I use some D-Light DMX controllers and some Lynx Express. Though it added a bit to the length of cable, I elected to put the 3 Lynx at the end of the daisy chain, thereby using only one converter.

If you want to use the LOR adapter as DMX, you will need to REMOVE it from the LOR network screen, then add it to the DMX screen as an "OPEN" "Raw" protocol adapter.  Remember that the LOR adapter is outputting on pins 4 and 5, so go to your LOR controllers first (or use a converter before connecting to a Lynx)

« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, by JonB256 »

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2012, »
Wonderfully said. 

The only thing to note is if you use the USB485 series dongle the protocol to use is:

Raw DMX Protocol

LOR USB485
LOR USB485B
LOR USB485-ISO

Here is some more good reading on DMX and dongles and where I got this.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline zaccutt

« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2012, »
Ok I  tried to use the LOR adapter to run the LE simply to test it and I removed my LOR from com 5 and found the LOR adapter under the DMX tab setting and used the raw DMX protocol. (I was using the conveter cable that comes with the Lynx dongle) Still no lights and the Data Link LED is still off.

Should I try testing it with Xlights?

Thanks
Zac
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, by zaccutt »