Author Topic: Data Link LED barely on  (Read 9053 times)

Offline JonB256

• My website
Re: Data Link LED barely on
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2012, »
Yes, I'd try xLights.  There's an adapter that comes with the Lynx?  I never got one. Made my own.

Also, if you are using an adapter, what color wires are you crossing? 

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2012, »
Be careful on just looking for colors as there are multiple standards of cat5.  Watch the pin numbers first and colors second.  Also make sure you look at the diagram correctly whether the tab is up or down as it can be confusing.

To test this I would cut a cat5 cable and just twist the wires first to make sure you have it correct.  After this you can solder them up or put an end on.  I purchased a cat5 crimper and ends but I find it easier to just solder them.

Offline zaccutt

« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2012, »
Hi Jon, yes the adapter came with the Lynx from the guy I bought it. I also made my own, on the one I made I crossed 4>1 and 5>2. After switching this adapater to try the LE it will now not work to run the LOR boards I have at all. I have tried everything but the controllers are not getting signal. Hmmm not sure.

What should I set the controller to in Xlights?

I have tried open dmx but no lights and the Data link on the board is still off. Should this be lit as soon as the controller receives signal from the device or only when lights are playing?

Zac
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, by zaccutt »

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2012, »
Just to make sure. 

If you only crossed 2 wires the correct end has to be plugged into the LOR device and LE from what I recall.  Switching the cable around will make it not work.  If you swap the 4 then the cable is universal meaning you can plug either end into the LE or LOR device.

I posted a picture and link on an earlier post on how to make the universal cable.

Can I ask what part of the country you live in?  I'm about ready to make a cable and send it to you so we can rule this out. :)

Offline zaccutt

« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2012, »
Pin 1 and 2 going into the Lynx controller is pin 4 and 5 from the source. When is the data link LED supposed to light? Like any time a dongle is connected?

Zac

Offline zaccutt

« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2012, »
Ok progress!

In Xlights, set as open DMX on comm 4 which is the LOR dongle, the controller started responding, working normally! I didn't even change anything else and its with the cord I made. So I was simply just using the test mode in Xlights. Now I have to try to get the LOR working in Xlights

How do I make the LOR controllers run DMX? Do I set it all up in the sequence editor and then load the sequence to xlights?

Zac
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, by zaccutt »

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2012, »
We probably already talked about this but you have the control panel running when testing lor correct.  :)

Offline zaccutt

« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2012, »
When I was testing LOR previously I was just using the sequence editor. I had 7 LOR controllers running. And also in the hardware utility they worked normally and it could find all of them. However after removing the LOR settings in LOR to try it over on DMX the LOR will now not work with it back to the previous way. So my best bet I suppose is to run it all off of Xlights in DMX?

Any other solutions welcomed haha

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2012, »
I'm not sure I follow but when you are just testing the one LOR adapter you must only have it specified in one are.  Either LOR or DMX, not both.  Also what version of LOR software do you have?

Offline zaccutt

« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2012, »
Yeah, I only ever had the Lor adapter enable in one protocol. I am running Lor 3.8.0

I feel so close now, I will try to change my sequence channel numbering tonight and then load the sequence to xlights and see if I can get LOR and Lynx working together.

Will keep you posted.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, by zaccutt »

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2012, »
I can’t help with xLights.  I would start another thread maybe as there are others that may be able to help.

On a side note, do you have the “advanced” version of LOR S3?

Offline zaccutt

« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2012, »
Yes, I do have the advanced version of LOR. I am leaving work early today to try to figure this out. I will try to get everything running thru LOR in the raw dmx protocol this afternoon. I suppose I just have to set the channels to dmx and thats it? The controllers don't need to be told to run dmx?  If not I will try xlights.

Zac
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, by zaccutt »

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I suppose I just have to set the channels to dmx and thats it? The controllers don't need to be told to run dmx? 
Zac

Yes, in the Tools / Channel Config, go down channel by channel and change from LOR to DMX Universe 1 and the new channel number.

The "formula" for LOR Unit ID/Channel to DMX conversion is pretty simple.

Unit 1 is 1 thru 16
Unit 2 is 17 thru 32
Unit 3 is 33 thru 48
etc....

LOR Unit ID minus 1. Multiply by 16, then add the LOR channel number.

The LOR controllers will auto sense the DMX protocol and respond at those channel numbers

Offline zaccutt

« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2012, »
Ok, so this should be easy, can I still use LOR to run it there fore test it in sequence editor?

Thanks

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2012, »
To test from the Sequencer program, you must be sure the LOR Listener is running. It is a "command line" box that actually does the conversion from LOR to DMX. No Listener, No output.

Also, under Play, be sure the "Control Lights" line is checked. Usually is by default, but check before you panic.