Author Topic: Data Link LED barely on  (Read 9065 times)

Offline zaccutt

Data Link LED barely on
« on: November 30, 2012, »
Hi guys,

Trying to get these LE's working, I am running a LOR dongle and have made a converter wire for testing the Lynx. When I plug in the cable into DMX in the Data link led barely turns on and flickers ever so slightly.

I believe my converter cord is correct, I only have 4 wires going into it though as that's all that seemed to be used. So going into the Lynx dmx in pins 1,2,3 and 7 are filled. Do you need more then the 4 wires? Do you know why the Data LED might barely flicker and when un plugged it stops?

Thanks!
Zac

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: Data Link LED barely on
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, »
Lynx DMX is only 1&2, 3-8 are not used.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, »
Here is a link that I started with.  I used the "Lynx and LOR Crossover Connections" cable so you can use it either way.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

My cable was the other standard to I made this picture to help me with the conversion.

I'm not a fan of the USB485B adapter for DMX.  I tested mine last year for testing DMX and it was a mess.   I used an Entec Pro all year and tested the Lynx in S3 and that worked.  There is also a DMXKing adapter that is also supposed to be like the Entec Pro for less money.

Regardless, the LED should light up properly regardless of the adapter.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, by Jeffl »

Offline zaccutt

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, »
Ok, and would you know how a Lynx controller could be tested with LOR software? Is there any chance the LOR hardware utility could find this LE or am I wasting my time? Whats the best way to connect to this LE and test it?

By the way, I cut the two extra wires and the Data LED is still doing the same thing.

Thanks
Zac
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, by zaccutt »

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, »
Unfortunately my favorite feature of LOR (network searching) is a LOR function and not a standard DMX feature so the LOR control panel will not do you any good (only if you use a LOR network with LOR gear).  You can use your LOR adapter for DMX as long as its a supported device for DMX.  You just need to setup the adapter as a DMX universe.  I don't recall if the LOR DMX deck works for testing.  I used xLights and the LOR sequence editor for testing.

Offline zaccutt

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, »
And how would you set up the adapter as a DMX universe? I will be running a LOR network and wish to convert my signal out of the LOR USB dongle to some LEs so it must work with LOR still as well. I have tried setting the channels in the sequence editor to DMX and obviously that is not working.

Zac

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, »
I knew that question was coming next so I went on a video search.  These links have the information you need and is easier to see.  I only watched enough to see that they talked about how to setup a DMX adapter in LOR S3.

The bad news now is that you need two adapters to run.  One for the  LOR protocol and one for DMX as they are two separate protocols.  The only way to serve DMX and LOR off the same adapter is with a IDMX from LOR.

I would purchase a Lynx adapter if someone has one for sale or purchase an Entec Open or Entec Pro for DMX and use the LOR adapter for LOR.

Or if you get really creative you can run your LOR controllers in DMX mode along with your LE's.  I'm running my LOR and Lynx controllers this year all under DMX from an Etherdongle............  But that is a bit more complicated. :)

Hang in there.  It's easy once you get it all figured out.

Offline zaccutt

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, »
Alright, well I have an Ether dongle that I purchased a while ago for a future project. It was from a member on here so I assume it is flashed for pixelnet. So I suppose my best option is flashing the ether dongle for DMX and run everything off of it.

I was under the impression that I could run my LOR controllers as normal and run a conversion wire to the LEs having them set up in LOR as DMX?

And therefore just use my LOR dongle.

Zac

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, »
I ran 35 LOR + 4 LE's in 2010.  Last year I ran 8 LE's and the rest LOR.  This year I have all AC LE's except for 4 DC LOR cards all running DMX.  It's the first year in about 4 that my show is a show and nooooot  a  a a  a ss hhh oooow. i.e not lagging and sticking.

It didn't come without a lot of work but it was worth it so far.

I would flash the ED with DMX firmware and use it at a minimum for your LE's.  I have been using the ED with LOR S3 since 11/20 and it has been rock solid.

However you do it having the ED gives you options... And options are good.

Offline zaccutt

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, »
Was it laggy because you had so many controllers maybe? I will have a total of 10 with both systems.

Sounds like I want to avoid the LOR USB adapter.. I have heard that several times now
I don't have a pickit... is my main problem.

Zac

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, »
10 controllers will not be a problem under LOR.  I don't think I started having issues until we went over the 300ish mark.

I would pickup a Pickit3 from J1sys (ED).  It will do both the LE and ED and it's almost mandatory anymore for RJ's gear.

I would try the LOR adapter for DMX and see what you get.  I didn't have a good experience but Dan from LOR posted once that some of the older USB485B chips were slower than the new ones and this could cause it.  If was a widespread issue they wouldn't support it so I think it might just be my adapters.

Offline zaccutt

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, »
Ok so bluntly though, how could I get this running asap? I'm out of time now unfortunately.
If I want to run everything off of one adapter I need to buy the IDMX (which appears to be too much money) or I need to flash the ED to DMX and run both adapters or I need to flash the ED and run everything DMX?

Thanks
Zac

Offline zaccutt

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, »
Actually wait a minute, I think this ED is flashed for DMX. Now I have the ED selected in network preferences in LOR (dpb3lh8d) and have tried the protocol as Lynx, raw dmx and Enttec. It still is not controlling the lights and my Data link LED is not on. Also, the green LED on the ED is off. Ideas?

Thanks!
Zac

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2012, »
Actually wait a minute, I think this ED is flashed for DMX. Now I have the ED selected in network preferences in LOR (dpb3lh8d) and have tried the protocol as Lynx, raw dmx and Enttec. It still is not controlling the lights and my Data link LED is not on. Also, the green LED on the ED is off. Ideas?

Thanks!
Zac

The ED has to be setup as E1.31 and connected to a network switch or router.

Go back into the Network Preferences and remove all your setting and then add the E1.31 for each Universe you are using.

Use Multi and will put in the 239.255.0.1 for the Universe 1.

Now connect to ED to your router only.

In LOR you must start the Control Panel and it will show if your connection is working, if not you will see errors.

2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline zaccutt

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2012, »
Sorry what do you mean by router? I'm assuming you just mean an internet router? So would I run the computer to the ED to the router to the controllers?

And when I set it up and choose Multicast I cannot specify an IP unless I choose specify.

Thanks
Zac