Author Topic: New LE not giving Power to Channels 9-16...Tests LEDs OK..  (Read 2158 times)

Offline Jasonlnlv

I have a new LE completed (2nd one..) and I tested the board, and all 16 of the LED's lit up in succession, and even ran a small sequence and the LED's lit up OK. I installed it in my display and some light did not work, so I took a power tester to see if it lit up and from the plug I channels 1-8 were OK the channels 9-16 did not. I also checked power right from the screws on the connector strips on the board with the same results. Any clues as to what I should check?

Thanks for any help...

Jason

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
Is there power across the fuse on the 9-16 side?

On a side note.  I always hookup strings to all channels and test with a chase sequences to also make sure the cords are hooked up in order.  The test sequence only tests the on board electronics but doesn't do anything for power to the cords.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, by Jeffl »

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
If you built it for 20 amps then you will need to put a jumper on the board. Send some pics of tge board..
Its the most wonderful time of the year.

Offline Jasonlnlv

Thanks for the reply, How can I test that fuse?

Offline UncleBuck

Check to see if you have continuity. If you have continuity then the fuse is good. Make sure the power is off before you check it.

Offline Jasonlnlv

I built it as a standard board. Dual Power cords and the board is not jumpered. I built another board the same way, and it works just fine.

I will try to get a picture shortly.

Offline Jasonlnlv

Here is a picture of the board in the case.

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
If you have a volt meter check from the neutral post on the power connector to each side of the fuse to see of you have power through the connector and the fuse.

Offline Jasonlnlv

OK I used a multimeter and the fuses are good. I even tested by swapping the fuse with each other. Same results. No power to 9-16...

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Have you used your multimeter to measure the input voltage on the right side input screws? Is the right side cord a home made cord (vampire plug) or a premade plug cpmmected to the cord before you used it?  I ask because I have had vampire plugs that did not make good connections resulting in no power.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline Jasonlnlv

All you guys are awesome for the help. The power cords are new commercial appliance replacement cords. I tested the input on the right side and there was none. I replaces the cord with another and there it was. - All 16 are now working!!! Thanks so much. You know how it is.. out all day in the cold hanging up lights and half works... This Forum is great!!

Just a question though.. I thought that you only needed the 1 (left side) to run all 16... so it needs to be plugged in on both sides to get all 16 without jumpering the board..

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
There are two ways to "jumper" the board. Solder jumpers on the power traces for both sides of the ouput connectors or run power into one side then add a two wire jumper from that power connector to the power connector on the other side of the board.

-Paul

BTW, make sure that if you jumper the board, DON't wire in a second power cord. It's either use one power cord and jumpers or two power cords!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, by PJNMCT »
Leesburg, FL

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
I have mostly LEDs and don't pull much power so I just use a short piece of SPT lamp cord to jumper the right side to the left input.  Works great.  I did not want to permanently put a jumper on the pcb in case I ever sold the equipment off or re-purposed it for something that needed more amps. 
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA