Author Topic: Etherdongle with DMX dongle  (Read 2381 times)

Offline mitch09

Etherdongle with DMX dongle
« on: December 01, 2012, »
Is it possible for me to run an etherdongle and a usb DMX dongle at the same time with LSP? I would really like to use my wireless DMX transmitter for my LEs and it would be much easier to just run it from the usb on my computer than to run from the DMX out on the Active Hub. Every time I try LSP tries to assign Com3 to both the etherdongle and the usb dongle.

Thanks,

Ryan

Offline mitch09

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, »
Pic of wanted setup

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
Re: Etherdongle with DMX dongle
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, »
Just out of curiosity, why would it be easier to run both instead of running the TX/RX directly off the DMX out on the active hub?

I am assuming from your drawing the LEs are wirelessly connected by EX/RXs.

I run my show lActive hub -> DMX out ->TX/RX -> EX/RX LEs.
-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline mitch09

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, »
Just no room in my battery box for the TX an unlike to keep the transmitter covered donor mounts in the garage(well it did last year) without SSC. I could run a cat5 from up on the roof down into the garage which is what I will try tomorrow.

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, »
To answer your question. Yes you can, you just need to set up another output for the Usb dongle and set the com port. Of course all of your channels will need to be mapped accordingly. The Etherdongle does not use a com port it uses the network. Ie. E1.31 over Multicast.

You might want to move this post to the LSP thread instead of here.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, by rdebolt »

Offline mitch09

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, »
How would I set up another output? Windows assigns the comport. Can I manually change it somewhere? Device Manager?

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, »
In LSP, make sure your controllers connected to the USB DMX are set to ettec DMX Pro.  For the controllers connected to the Ethernet, set the protocol to E1.31.  Then, go to the output controller plug-in and make sure each is configured. 

This should work, but you may find some timing issues.  For smoother setup, I would recommend running everything off E1.31 and the hub(s).  Even if you need to get another box or longer cord.

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, »
I run a Cat5 out of my box from the DMX out on the Active hub into the TX/RX, slip a ziplock gallon bag over it and zip tie it to my Mega pole.

The hole in the bag is down and I zip tie it lightly closed in case any moisture or condensation appeared it could drain down.
This makes it higher for better reception too.
-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline urthegman

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, »
Can I do the same thing with a Tx run from DMX out on a Lynx Express to send the signal across the street (approx. 60 feet) to another Lynx Express with an Ex module?

Offline mitch09

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I run a Cat5 out of my box from the DMX out on the Active hub into the TX/RX, slip a ziplock gallon bag over it and zip tie it to my Mega pole.

The hole in the bag is down and I zip tie it lightly closed in case any moisture or condensation appeared it could drain down.
This makes it higher for better reception too.

I ran my tx from the hub today. I can get all my ssc yo work in xlights but no dmx. Transmitter flashes that signal us outgoing. All rx flash that data is incoming but no blinky. Do I need my DMX jumper on active hub set to universe 2?  I am only running a total of 2400 or so channels.

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, »
Can I do the same thing with a Tx run from DMX out on a Lynx Express to send the signal across the street (approx. 60 feet) to another Lynx Express with an Ex module?

Yes. 
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline mitch09

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, »
All working now except for an LE with some bad triacs

Offline urthegman

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, »

Yes.
Thank you for your help!!!