Author Topic: DMX out  (Read 3043 times)

Offline mitch09

DMX out
« on: December 02, 2012, »
I have my ETD on the roof with 6ssc and 4 DSC hooked up. My DMX Tx is hooked into the DMX out and is blinking that data is leaving. All my SSC and DSC work fine in Xlights tester. I have all unicast networks set for e1.31 SSC starting at 513. I get no blinky on my DMX devices (8LE) 5 wireless all are set to univ. 1 as I have less than 512 channels of DMX. On active hub DMX is set to univ. 1. Pixelnet set univ. 1 as well. All LEs flash as receiving data. Terminate jumpers are set correctly at the end of each DMX chain.

My real question is, do I need to make sure my ETD is flashed for DMX? Would it be outputting pixelnet on e1.31 if it was flashed pixelnet?

Thanks

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
Re: DMX out
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, »
The Active hub is what sends out the DMX signal in this case, so No you cannot reflash the Etd for DMX. I thought however that the Etd did not support unicast though, only multicast, but I am far from any expert in that area.

Offline mitch09

DMX out
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, »
But aren't there two firmware for the ETD? One pixelnet and the other DMX?

I'll take a look at multicast and see if it works.

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, »
If you use the DMX you will lose your pixelnet.

Offline rm357

DMX out
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, »
The e1.31 is the protocol between the computer and the EtD. The EtD only receives multicast e1.31. It will not send the acknowledge packets needed to establish a proper unicast connection.

The EtD outputs either 4 universes of pixelnet or 4 universes of DMX depending on the firmware that is loaded.

It takes 8 blocks of e1.31 data to make 1 universe of pixelnet. The EtD assembles the data for you - the blocks are numbered and transmitted to different multicast addresses based on the channel numbers that the block contains. Each block (or Ethernet packet) contains 512 channels.

The active hub mirrors one block of the e1.31 data from the selected pixelnet universe on the DMX output. That block is still output on the pixelnet ports as well.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, by rm357 »
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline mitch09

DMX out
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, »
So do I want the DMX firmware or pixelnet?

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, »
You want Pixelnet firmware in the Etherdongle.  The Active Hub does the translation from Pixelnet to DMX.
/mike

Offline mitch09

DMX out
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, »
Newest version Pixelnet firmware. Flashed and verified using pickit 3.
Mag jack lights green and slowly flashes yellow. DMX out on active hub connected to last year's working Tx. Tx has flashing light showing data. All LEs(5)  also flash showing data from last year set up. No blinky.

XLights set up with 8 multicast universes of e1.31. 512 channels each.

Now after ETD reflash I can't even get my SSC to light. I am so frustrated I am about to go static!

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, »
Not to be picky but with DMX wireless just because its flashing doesn't mean it has any real data.

From the Active hub can you connected a wired LE? To see if there is any data. Assuming you are sending something out like a test channels and or a sequence. MagJack slowing flashing is odd (should be blinking if its talking on the network)

If the SSC was working before, did you try to move the port just incase that port quit working? (fuse)

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline mitch09

DMX out
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, »
I'll try switching ports and running a wire if the rain will let me on the roof.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, »
I hope you are kidding

No roofs in the rain Please

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline mitch09

DMX out
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, »
I will not go on the roof in the rain. 😳

Offline mitch09

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, »
I think I have it fixed. I am using a new computer and forgot to disable the firewall. ???

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, »
Firewalls, the bane of all flashy people's existence!  *grin*
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login