Author Topic: setting up SSCs in LOR3  (Read 1866 times)

Offline FireMedic4Christ

setting up SSCs in LOR3
« on: December 02, 2012, »
Slowly wrapping my mind around DMX and now want to add in some pixelnet.

When adding ss in LOR3 sequence editor, I should set these up as continuous universes of 512 until I reach the total number of channels needed (2863). Then when I run in xlights, the appropriate channels 1-512 will be sent to SSHub DMX output and everything from 513 to 2863 will be sent to pixelnet.

Thanks in advance,

Offline JonB256

• My website
Re: setting up SSCs in LOR3
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, »
I'm using 250 pixels on my roof with LOR S3 3.8.0 advanced.  Because of the new E1.31 support and the way the Etherdongle supports Multicast, I did not need to use xLights to run my show.

Also, because it seems easier on my brain, I haven't been running over an Universe boundaries.

For example, the 250 pixels I have need 750 channels, exceeding the size of a single universe. I'm using one Active Hub and 4 SSCs. So, on the first 2 SSCs, they are Universe 6 (in LOR), starting at channel 1 up to 375. The other 2 SSCs are Universe 7 (in LOR) channel 1 to 375. LOR let me add a "Device" on Universe 6 with 384 channels. I just deleted the extras.

That same Active Hub is also pulling out DMX data on Universe 3. My 2011 sequences used Universe 3, so I didn't have to change much.

Offline Mike Hill

• Here to learn
setting up SSCs in LOR3
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, »
I wish I lived closer to see your setup.  Anyone in AZ running LOR with RGBpixel setup?
Mike Hill
First display date 11-2011
"Never explain your actions, your enemies don't believe it and your friends don't need it."

Offline oj70chevy

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, »
sorry to bring this back from the past but just wondering if you have in photos of your set up Jon. I just took a count and will be using a total of 540 channels in LOR and am not sure if i am doing the set up right. for example in Halloween i will have 3 tomb stones each with 60 pixels. if i am thinking it right and set them up as RGBs in LOR that will be a total of 180 RGB channels. in that case ill need to active hubs as that is a total of 580 channels. right? or is there a way in LOR to use 1 channel as an RGB instead of the 3 that makes 1 RGB.

Thanks Ralph
Thanks
Ralph

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Slowly wrapping my mind around DMX and now want to add in some pixelnet.

When adding ss in LOR3 sequence editor, I should set these up as continuous universes of 512 until I reach the total number of channels needed (2863). Then when I run in xlights, the appropriate channels 1-512 will be sent to SSHub DMX output and everything from 513 to 2863 will be sent to pixelnet.

Thanks in advance,

One quick note here, nothing is "sent" to the DMX output of the hub.  You set the jumpers on the hub for the DMX universe that you want it to translate and that is the output that it gives you but this does not affect the output on the pixelnet side.  The pixelnet side will also be outputting those same channels which you need to account for when you set your controller starting addresses on the pixelnet side.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline combustionmark

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, »
sorry to bring this back from the past but just wondering if you have in photos of your set up Jon. I just took a count and will be using a total of 540 channels in LOR and am not sure if i am doing the set up right. for example in Halloween i will have 3 tomb stones each with 60 pixels. if i am thinking it right and set them up as RGBs in LOR that will be a total of 180 RGB channels. in that case ill need to active hubs as that is a total of 580 channels. right? or is there a way in LOR to use 1 channel as an RGB instead of the 3 that makes 1 RGB.

Thanks Ralph

You will only require 1 hub. The pixelnet can be configured as 32 dmx universes. The first hub will have the first 8 dmx universes available. Not sure how I configured my setup, I do remember setting up groups of 512 dmx channels, then converting them to rgb. This gave me groups of 170 rgb channels each that I used for pixel strings.

The way I would configure the tomb stones in lor, 2 in the first rgb group, 1 in the second. First pixel in dmx universe 1 will be pixelnet universe 1 channel 1, First pixel on dmx universe 2 will be pixelnet universe channel 513.

I am no expert with lor, and am sure there is a better way, this worked for me. This year things are different.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, by combustionmark »
Have Fun!

Offline oj70chevy

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, »
Thanks Mark, I checked and have my DMX universes are set up the same as yours as well as the RGBs in the sequencing. If I am reading this right. i can keep building my RGB channels, once i get get to 513 i would change the universe to #2 and start back at 1. that being said the 3rd tombstone would be on the same active Hub but will be using universe 2 (channel 513). will i need to change any of the jumpers on the hub to use say universe 2 or 3 and so on?

on the other side you said i can use all 8 universes on the same hub, is that at the same time? if so I took 8 times 512 and get 4096 but with only 16 ports to plug into times the most nodes 128 I get 6144 channels needed to run the hub full?  is that right? (not that I would ) at least at this time.

Thanks
Ralph
Thanks
Ralph

Offline combustionmark

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, »
Jumpers should be set for the first pixelnet universe. And that will give you the first 8 dmx universes on that hub. After that you will have to go to another hub. And you are right 1 pixelnet will not fill 16 strings of 128 pixels. 128 pixels is just the maximum number one ssc can control. You can use fewer, like 60 pixels or toumbstone per ssc.
Have Fun!

Offline oj70chevy

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, »
Awsome! I can see again.. thanks for clearing this up for me Mark.. <res. <res.
Thanks
Ralph

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, »
Ralph, I just read the thread and got here late. Glad someone cleared it up for you.  It can be confusing when the sequencer (LOR S3) talks DMX Universes of 512 but Pixelnet is 8 times that. But, LOR just sends data out "blindly" and the SS Hubs just grab it and go.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, by JonB256 »

Offline oj70chevy

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, »
Yes it can be a little confusing but once you get it straightened out all those blinking lights looks so good.
Thanks
Thanks
Ralph

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, »
I wish there was a different name for a pixelnet universe to distinguish it from a dmx universe.  I think the use of the word universe without the qualifier of dmx or pixelnet in front of it confuses a lot of people.  Even now I sometimes find myself stopping to ponder which universe folks are talking about and find I have to read more or ask to find out what they are talking about.  Maybe a pixelnet domain or .......
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline MazdaFan

• Sardinia, Indiana
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Yes it can be a little confusing but once you get it straightened out all those blinking lights looks so good.
Thanks

Well, there's always Puniverse and Duniverse..  ::)

Jamie
Jamie Tomlinson
Sardinia, Indiana
--
When you can keep your head when all others are losing theirs,
you clearly don't understand the problem!

Offline combustionmark

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, »
I edited my post to help out. Not sure if it is better or not.
Have Fun!