Author Topic: help with chase sequence programming  (Read 1796 times)

Offline wrxin

help with chase sequence programming
« on: December 03, 2012, »
I'm working with part of my show, 7 lit trees (3 ft tall PVC trees) and I'm struggling with a chase sequence moving across from left to right or right to left or center out to both sides.

I'm not programming to the song in this video, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login but this video has a set of 13 trees in a row in the front right and I'm trying to replicate it. Its at the every beginning of the video. I know I don't have as many trees but my lights don't "move" as smoothly. I've viewed the Vixen training video on You Tube for Chase Sequences, which helped a bit, but I can't get the fluid quick movement with the effect of a "dark patch" moving left to right or whatever.

I would really appreciate any advice, screenshots of a good chase sequence, pointers, etc.

Thanks!
Mark

Offline tthompson

Re: help with chase sequence programming
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, »
you should use a fade in effect for each tree/object over a few blocks and have them overlap a few for the "smoothness"

I.e.

tree 1       ***********
tree 2                       ***********
tree 3                                       ***********
tree 4                                                       ***********
tree 5                                                                       ***********
tree 6                                                                                       ***********
tree 7                                                                                                       ***********

Offline wrxin

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, »
Thank you! I've tried that and it looks choppy, not really smooth. I am using fade out so maybe that's it.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, »
Are you using LEDs or Incandescent lights? They look different when fading/chasing

Make sure your timing is 50ms

When I get home tonight I can see if I how any good chases to share if you don't have answer sooner.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline wrxin

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, »
Thank you too! I'm using LEDs. I'll check the timing. I'd love to see an example if you can dig one up.

Offline tthompson

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, »
you might need to add/program a light curve for them if the dimming is off too.  the max of 255 gives my LEDs problems.  I have to lower my max to 241.

Offline wrxin

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, »
Thank you, I'll check that too.