Author Topic: Running LOR and Lynx in DMX  (Read 4457 times)

Offline zaccutt

Running LOR and Lynx in DMX
« on: December 03, 2012, »
Hi guys,

I had to start a new thread,  the old one was way to long and the topics varied greatly.

Basically my problem is that my LOR controllers will not run DMX. The Lynx works properly with the LOR sequence editor. LOR's status LED just flashes. Occaisionally random groups of channels will do something when nothing is running but the dongle is connected.

I am using the LOR USB adapter and I have selected it in the DMX tab in LOR and it is running raw DMX. I have also tried Lynx and others. LOR in the LOR network config window is set to none.

The control panel is open, firmware is up to date, LOR software is 3.8.0 and advanced.

The problem would seem to lie in the LOR boards or adapter as the same LOR adapter will run an LE no problem. Also, the LORs worked yesterday before I switched the LOR to DMX but now will not even work back the original way it was and hardware utility can't find them. I have tried new Cat5 cables.

I hope it was a good idea to start a new thread, hopefully this is a bit more concise.

Thanks
Zac
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, by zaccutt »

Offline JonB256

• My website
Re: Running LOR and Lynx in DMX
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, »
Open a sequence in the Sequence Editor
In the Play menu, check "Loop at End"
Be sure the Control Lights is checked
Then click play

Now, while DMX is theoretically being send to the LOR controllers, turn their power off, pause, then re-power.

See if that forces them to switch.

Offline zaccutt

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, »
Nope, didn't do anything. The controllers status LED that I can see is still flashing. I also have tried switching this back to LOR and the controllers cannot be found in hardware utility or play lights, I also tested it on a different computer that has nevr even heard of DMX and it still find them.

Zac

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, »
Did you make a crossover Cat5 from the lynx dongle to the LOR controller.

Also check this: right click the LOR icon & go to Network Preferences

Click the LOR tab & under port make sure it says NONE
   Then go to the DMX tab & set up network.

Mike

Offline zaccutt

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, »
The Lynx dongle will not work, I think I got duped, the green LED will not turn on. So I am attempting to run it all off of the LOR dongle in DMX mode. Therefore I do not need a crossover to run the LOR devices.

The LOR tab is set to NONE and the DMX tab shows my LOR dongle and is set to Raw DMX.

After the LOR adapter was switched to the DMX tab the LOR controllers will not get signal in any mode or configuration.

Thanks

Offline zaccutt

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, »
Is my problem that I am using the LOR USBRS485 adapter and maybe it does not work with DMX?

Offline ponddude

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, »
If you are running just LOR controllers off of the Lynx dongle you absolutely need a crossover cable.  LOR and DMX pinouts are not the same.  The Lynx pinouts follow the DMX standard and the LOR controllers follow the LOR standard.  You have to use a crossover cable if you are going from the Lynx(DMX) to something LOR.  If you are going from Lynx to something DMX you do not need the cable.  If you are going from LOR to LOR with DMX mode you do not need a crossover cable.

Now, if you are running just DMX, not through an E1.31 network, you have to have another LOR adapter connected to the computer.  LOR's way of making sure you are using their software with their products.  You will notice with no LOR network asigned, by default the "Control Lights" in the Play menu is not checked.  Attached another LOR USB adapter.

Can I ask why you aren't running your LOR controllers with the LOR protocol?  They act much better as LOR devices than they do as DMX devices. 
Greg
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, »
Is my problem that I am using the LOR USBRS485 adapter and maybe it does not work with DMX?

I feel too many changes are being made without first confirming the setup. To troubleshoot any problem, if more than one change is made you will not know what is your next step or what worked and not worked.

If you go back to the basic setup that worked with the LOR protocol, we can then go through the steps to convert to DMX.  You do not need any LOR Dongles configured or attached to run just DMX using LOR, period, you you say it does you have something configured wrong.

IMHO, this is taking wat too long to get you up and running,

2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, »
IMHO, this is taking way too long to get you up and running,

I'll second that.

Offline zaccutt

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, »
Hi guys, thanks for the replys. I want to run LOR on DMX because my LYNX DMX adapter is not working and so I am trying to run both the LOR and LYNX from the same dongle. The Lynx works no problem through the sequence editor and the LOR will not, however the LOR did work fine on the LOR protocol however now switching back in every way even onto the old LOR computer the LOR devices do not respond.

I understand it appears as though I made too many changes however now reverting back to basics with the LOR in the most basic set up I cannot get any signal through, so what would my next step be? I want to simply trouble shoot why LOR isn't getting signal in the LOR protocol.

But by the sounds of it, are you saying I must have the second adapter to run both system? Or is that only if LOR is on LOR protocol and Lynx is on DMX?

I am willing to try anything, I will be home in about 5 hours doing so.

Thanks
Zac

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, »
Keep in mind that LOR DMX is 'non standard' ... meaning they used wires 4,5 instead of wires 1,2 which regular DMX does.  So that is why people mention the crossover/conversion cable as a requirement whenever you mix LOR and LYnx, even when both are doing DMX ... they do DMX on different wires.   You need to swap wires any time you switch between the LOR and LYNX DMX world, because that DMX data needs to be present on 4,5 for LOR and 1,2 for LYNX. 

I think ideally you would not want to use just the LOR USB adaptor to control both, but maybe its possible? 

You should be able to detect the LOR controllers, unless you have a lynx unit wired up between the computer LOR USB dongle and the first LOR unit.  Normally you flash the LOR controllers with newer firmware that supports DMX ... then the LOR controller will auto-sense whether your sending it LOR protocol or DMX protocal ... so you never really set the controller for DMX per se.

LOR on DMX just gets its address based on its UNIT ID assigned, so UNIT ID=1 is DMX 1-16 ... and UNIT ID=2 is 17-32 and so on.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline zaccutt

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, »
Hi, right now I only have LOR hooked up. And they are all in 4.32 firmware.

So basically the adapter is not allowing connection to the LOR since HU isn't picking them up.

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, »
Your post says you are trying to run LOR and DMX on one dongle, if I read it right, this cannot be done.

You need two separate dongles and networks.

Can you come up with 2 working dongles, either LOR, or DMX?

Your answer will help in the next step.
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, »
Do as Dennis said ... get two dongles. 

Also, reboot your machine.  I've seen LOR Hardware Utility lose it a bunch of times ... and normally the reboot fixes it ... often the com port gets marked as busy even when its not and you can't do anything till you reboot it again.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, »
Your post says you are trying to run LOR and DMX on one dongle, if I read it right, this cannot be done.

You need two separate dongles and networks.

Can you come up with 2 working dongles, either LOR, or DMX?

Your answer will help in the next step.

Dennis, he's trying to run LOR AC controllers (in DMX mode) and Lynx Express together. This is possible. I've done it. (with LOR controllers, D-Light DMX controllers and Express controllers, all on the same DMX cables with converters where needed.

I'm running that same setup now, except that I'm using E1.31 DMX rather than a USB dongle. It still works, with the converters switching the lines.

I'm at a loss where this is going wrong.