Author Topic: Running LOR and Lynx in DMX  (Read 4460 times)

Offline zaccutt

Re: Running LOR and Lynx in DMX
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, »
I have tried numerous reboots, powered down all the controllers, a different computer etc. I would like to get a second dongle, but if that is the only choice I need to order it ASAP as I have no time left!

Tonight I will tear everything down and install LOR fresh on yet another computer and see if I can get LOR working on the LOR protocol. Then after that I will try to switch the channels to DMX settings and then the adapter to DMX settings. And then see if it fires.

But to this point, the LORs have permanently lost signal with the adapter.

When I put it back to original LOR settings, 1 out of 7 controllers was attempting to play one part of my song. Its like a lost in translation bit.

But I shall let you know what happens after I re-jig the whole system.

I was just looking for that simple answer that is eluding us all!

Btw, I still have my old LOR serial adapter, maybe if I get a USB to serial adapter I can use that adapter plus my USB adapter? But if LOR won't work on LOR protocol I still have a problem.

Zac

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Running LOR and Lynx in DMX
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, »
Try a different cat 5 cable
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, »
Your post says you are trying to run LOR and DMX on one dongle, if I read it right, this cannot be done.

You need two separate dongles and networks.

Can you come up with 2 working dongles, either LOR, or DMX?

Your answer will help in the next step.

Dennis, he's trying to run LOR AC controllers (in DMX mode) and Lynx Express together. This is possible. I've done it. (with LOR controllers, D-Light DMX controllers and Express controllers, all on the same DMX cables with converters where needed.

I'm running that same setup now, except that I'm using E1.31 DMX rather than a USB dongle. It still works, with the converters switching the lines.

I'm at a loss where this is going wrong.

He does only have one working dongle and that is one of the problems in his setup. I am helping him offline to get him operational.
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline zaccutt

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, »
Somehow, the third controller I am testing is now responding to LOR HU. I then hooked up the second controller in line and got them both responding. I also tried switching the 1st controller to DMX and it worked! However then after connecting a second controller I tried it again and now neither controller will work in DMX even just a single one at a time.

Regardless though I am much happier knowing I can get some of these working on LOR. Maybe I can find a few extra LOR controllers nearby? hint hint

« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, by zaccutt »

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2012, »
Zac, how are you sending DMX out to these controllers? (i.e., how do you KNOW you have a DMX waveform on the wire?)

My personal preference with LOR was to create a 60 second LAS animation file (no music) with the same set of channels. A few random ON and OFF commands and put it on "Loop"

The problem with outputting DMX from a Raw or Open adapter (the LOR USB) is that I have caught it not outputting a DMX signal if it is not being sent anything from software. Its a case of "no garbage in, no garbage out."

On the other hand, a Pro or Lynx or E1.31 DMX will output "something" all the time, kind of like a carrier wave.

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2012, »
Zac, how are you sending DMX out to these controllers? (i.e., how do you KNOW you have a DMX waveform on the wire?)

My personal preference with LOR was to create a 60 second LAS animation file (no music) with the same set of channels. A few random ON and OFF commands and put it on "Loop"

The problem with outputting DMX from a Raw or Open adapter (the LOR USB) is that I have caught it not outputting a DMX signal if it is not being sent anything from software. Its a case of "no garbage in, no garbage out."

On the other hand, a Pro or Lynx or E1.31 DMX will output "something" all the time, kind of like a carrier wave.

Zac and I spent the evening last night emailing each other and then on the phone. This on/off issue is still unknown but Zac now understands how to setup the network for either LOR or DMX.

I have given him all the info I can but there is some thing else missing.

We know the Lynx dongle is bad and the USB485B is working in both LOR and DMX.
The controller might have an issue but not sure yet. LOR V4.32
Cat 5 cables are being checked and so far all are working.
Routing of cable is away from AC power.
One issue is most of the controller are in the display and hard to see what is happening.
Crossover cable to convert from LOR to Lynx controller is working when in DMX mode.
Zac is checking the Cat5 receptacles for damage.

Still have bad communication issues.

HOw about a few suggestions.
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2012, »

We know the Lynx dongle is bad and the USB485B is working in both LOR and DMX.

This means that he should be able to run in all DMX mode with all the controllers.  This should be option 1.  I'm not sure the Lynx dongle is bad as he stated he did not have a Pickit.  I can't tell how many quirky things I have had with firmware and had to reprogram multiple time.

One issue is most of the controller are in the display and hard to see what is happening.

I would be pulling controllers out of the display to test or have a laptop in the yard to connect directly to each controller to see which works and which don't.

Crossover cable to convert from LOR to Lynx controller is working when in DMX mode.
Zac is checking the Cat5 receptacles for damage.

This also means that all DMX is an option.

If I understand this the only thing that is missing is that the Lynx Dongle does not work.  If I don't understand, it's that "some" of the LOR controllers are not working.

I know its already been said but how many total LOR and Lynx controllers are we talking about?

Checking for bent pins or cat5 plugs that have been pulled is a good idea.  I once had a LOR adapter with a bent pin.  Luckily is was not a criticle pin.  Check the Lynx dongle for bent pins as well.

Last of all, thank you Dennis for taking things this far.