Author Topic: DLA Scoreboard  (Read 5900 times)

Offline lortiz

DLA Scoreboard
« on: February 03, 2009, »
Hi,

I've joined this community just last october (2008) and now I am in total addiction to this hobbie (like the rest of you, I bet). I was able to get a Grinch board and some SSR's and do a small display last Christmas.

I'm already preparing (thanks to all coop organizers) in order to do a full blown show in 2009.

However, I was thinking (outside the box) about other applications where RJ designs could be put for good use.

Being a youth baseball coach most of my life, the obvious answer was using the light controllers
to do a scoreboard. Perfect fit!

It has been many years since I've wanted to build a scoreboard for our community baseball field.
Now the time has come thanks to RJ's inexpensive (but absolutely great) light controller boards.

I am preparing a short proof of concept presentation (video) on this that I will be sharing with you soon.

I have a scoreboard digit in my hands that is already working with my Grinch board. I'm writing a VisualBasic program to handle the scoreboard, and later I will check if a Vixen Add-in is possible for this application (any help from someone proficient in Vixen Add-ins will later be appreciated).

Think about the possibilities here..

Our scoreboard displays will not only be capable of keeping the score, but also:

- Do a lot of light animations and shows (i.e. Take me out to the ball game light show).
- Simulate fireworks (like I've seen in many Xmas shows) when a Home Run is hit by one of the kids, or when the local teams wins a game.
- Pre-game show with 'Jock Jams' sports type music
- Different light shows/animations between innings.
- Integrating LedTriks for showing kids names, stats, animations, sponsor messages, etc.
- Low cost

We'll get the additional benefits of:

- Year long show off (not just Xmas).
- Keep us busy and creative more time.
- Permanently sharing our scoreboard creations with our local community,
just like RJ is freely sharing his designs with us.
- It is going to be wireless. (Wireless DMX)

If you search the web, you'll see that scoreboards are extremely expensive. I know that
by us sharing our knowledge, we can certainly start producing very good looking
and inexpensive scoreboards capable of doing far more than any standard commercial
scoreboard.

Let me know what you think about this proposed new project.

If you all agree we can do this, then we can say that the "DLA Scoreboard" is born.

Leo

PD: Sorry about the long post, but I'm too excited about this....  ::)

Barbara Sher - "Doing is a quantum leap from imagining."

Offline OriginalHotrodder

Re: DLA Scoreboard
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, »
Hi Leo,
It sounds like a great idea to me.  I'm looking forward to your proof of concept video.
Ed

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, »
Welcome

Bill

Offline lortiz

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, »
Hi guys,

I made the 'proof of concept video' but I am struggling in compressing it good enough to be posted here. Any suggestions on what software (freeware) to use so I can shrink it .

Anyway, I wrote the program to do score keeping and send it to the scoreboard digit.

Also did a Vixen animation with a siren sound. It is just a 2 second looping sequence that will randomly turn on-off digit segments.

It looks awsome !!

I can now imagine a full scoreboard doing all kind of cool and colorful animations with music and sounds. We can even put a FM receiver inside the scoreboard cabinet and transmit the sound using the FM transmitter you all use for the shows.

Hopefully I can shrink the video and post it here or elsewhere (YouTube).

« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, by lortiz »

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, »
Cool

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, »
Leo,
I think I can help you with compressing your video with some excellent freeware but I need to know what format is your video in (.avi, mpg, etc.) and what is the resolution (640x480, 720x480, etc)? What size is the video file?

Ed

Offline lortiz

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, »
Video file is MPG and size is 100MB+ for just 4minutes of video (wow!).

I was able to convert it to wmv format and it went down to 7MB so I'll post it now.

Video doesn't look that great but it does the job.

Anyway let me know what software do you use since I could do other videos for updates.

Thanks.......

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, »
Cool ideal
Nice Video

Bill

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, »
Excellent demo.  Great little project. I can really see the benefit of the wireless in your planned setup.   

Larry
3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012

Offline ThaiWay

• Patron Member
  • 1500 C9's are not [i]green[/i]!
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, »
Leo, you have every reason to be excited about your scoreboard project!

I'm impressed

John
Chok Dee! (Thai "good luck" greeting)
John

Unofficial 220V 50Hz Beta Tester

Offline REM

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, »
lortiz,

Excellent idea and well done on the proof-of-concept.

For video editing/rendering software I like to use Pinnacle Studio (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login). If you're on a budget you can simply use the free Windows Movie Maker. It's not too bad but it only really does Windows media formats.

Ron

Offline cBell

• Christmas in Brewster
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, »
Very cool!  There is a lot of potential there, and it's a great way to utilize your controllers in the off season.  Great work!
-Chris
Follow my journey: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, »
Greetings,,,

Interesting project.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, »
I enjoyed the video.  Definitely a cool use of your equipment.   Keep up the great work.

Ron

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, »
Excellent proof of concept Leo, great job! 

For video editing (mostly I just do straight cuts) I use VirutalDub ( You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login ) unfortunately it doesn't do MPG's... but VirtualDubMod does ( You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login ). 
Both of these are freeware and work great.   

If you want to use some fancy stuff in your videos, you might want to try Wax from DebugMode  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  (another freeware product).

To convert and/or re-compress your videos I've found Squared 5 MPEG Streamclip (freeware) and it has worked well for me.   Its powerful but also easy to use and turns out some excellent quality videos quickly.   

Another easy to use video converter is Super.  Homepage:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  The download link is kind of tricky to find so I've pasted it here:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

All in all, I've found that it's really hard to beat the wmv format for size vs. quality.  Your video turned out really well I thought. 

Ed