Author Topic: Mega Tree 2013 Project  (Read 4266 times)

Offline FJT

• Toronto
Mega Tree 2013 Project
« on: December 04, 2012, »
I am now venturing into the unknown..... ;D

I am slowly trying to put together all the pieces to contruct the tree for next Christmas.

My intention was to first purchase the 20" mega tree kit which I did yesterday, kit from christmaslightshow.com.
Then decide which lights to purchase and then decided on the controllers before trying to do the setup.

Are these steps in the correct order?

I also registed to Sean's Nutcracker site. I look simple enough for me to learn from.

Now I am trying to decide which strip lights to purchase. My understanding is that strip bulbs will not turn around and stay straight allowing for better projection. I want I high resolution tree that in future will allow me to show graphics as well. Ray suggested 5m TM1809 dream color strips (30leds/m) in silicon tube.

Here is the silly question I have. The tree is 20' high, but the 5m strips are 16' 4" lengths. I assume I need some slack. What would my options be. Make a smaller tree?

Then how many strips should I look at buying?
I know alot depends on spacing but I am more concerned on the quality of the look then the cost since this will be the only feature on the property.

Thank you in advance but I want to make sure I start on the right foot.

Offline sebjsan

• Sebastian from California
Re: Mega Tree 2013 Project
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, »
I would highly recommend you look a the wiki for compatible light strings and the SSC limitations. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

You might need to go with the smart string nodes to get you that height. I will be doing a 20' mega tree with those for next year if i can afford it (about $1,280 just in strings before shipping and taxes) and use Sean Nutcracker.

I plan on having 32 strings, if it gets to costly i will do a half mega tree only doing 180 degrees opposed to 360 degrees.

Sebastian from California

Offline FJT

• Toronto
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, »
Thanks Sebastian.
But what is SSC?
How did you arrive at 32 strings for the tree? Are you not concerned about the string lights turning in?

Regards

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, »
Smart string nodes are very bright.  I have them hanging from gutters pointing straight down and they are very bright.  The biggest issue with ss nodes is that you must have them supported if using them on a megatree.  Most folks seem to be using paracord.  I would wait to order any lights until after the first of next year.  In the meantime you can research what other people have been using and check out their photos and videos.  I have 64 strings of regular LEDs on my 17ft tall megatree because I like a dense look.  I am using 8 flexstrips on my pixel tree (a half tree - 180deg) cut in half resulting in 16 strands, but it is only 7ft tall.  My flexstrips are zip tied to 1/2" conduit that I spray painted green.  Flexstrips are much more directional than nodes and need to be pointing to the viewer in my opinion.  You are looking at a big investment here so I would take my time and do lots of research rather than just jumping in and ordering stuff.  Smart string nodes dropped about 30% from 2011 to 2012.  Who knows what will happen to prices in 2013.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline sebjsan

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, »
SSC= Smart String Controller You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You will need them to control your smart nodes. They control the RGB(Red Green Blue) of your pixels. They are connected to a Smart String Active or Passive Hub) in your case you will need one active You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login per 16 SSC's. The second batch of 16 SSC's can be connected to a passive hub You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login that is connected to the active hub.
Its sounds like more than it actually is. RJ's hardware is very user friendly, some bumps are on the road ahead but doable.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, by sebjsan »

Offline FJT

• Toronto
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, »
Thank you Jim
You make some good points. I was definitely looking to purchasing the lights early next year.

Sebastian. Appreciate the clarification and the links. I now am starting to understand the different components.

Regards

Offline devoidelk

• North western Indiana, 47960
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, »
I to will be hoping to build a 20' mega tree next year but im going with the jump pole because it looks pretty sturdy and easily torn down. I may attach incans the first year or might try for smart strings I don't know my budget from the accountant (Wife) as of yet. Good luck and as already stated research research research.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, »
The JUMP megatree pole is one of the best things I ever did.  I just wish I had built it a couple of years earlier.  I had problems with the first 3 poles I built and tried.  One tip I would give you is that there is a point where you need to grind out threads inside a couple of adapters.  That was painful until I took it to a machine shop and they did it in 5 minutes.  Fortunately when I told them what I was doing they didn't even charge me.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline sebjsan

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, »
What i plan on doing next year once n8huntsman releases the BOM

Offline devoidelk

• North western Indiana, 47960
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, »
What i plan on doing next year once n8huntsman releases the BOM

I was actually thinking of that the other day use a low pressure compressor and you only need it to push up not down. Since you could bleed out the air slowly to bring it down... It would be funny and tragic to see someone shoot out the inner pole into the air.