Author Topic: Terminate in two spots???  (Read 3491 times)

Offline urthegman

Terminate in two spots???
« on: December 05, 2012, »
The layout for my expresses is as follows: computer-active hub- DMX out- controller 8(using DMX out)-controller 9-Terminate. Controller 8 (using DMX Out 2)- controller 3- controller 2- controller 1- controller 4-,controller 5- controller 6- controller 7. I am guessing I also need to terminate controller 7???? Can someone please confirm???? Thanks. George

Offline hicksjo

Re: Terminate in two spots???
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, »
Correct

Terminate last item in any branch

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, »
you always terminate the last item in a dmx chain.

if you have a cable leading out to another device from an aether II's, mr16, freestyle, ssr4, or the DMX OUT1 of an express, then you don't terminate.
if you don't have a cable leaving this device to go to another device, then you terminate.

if you use a dmx splitter to split the signal, or the DMX OUT2 from an express, you just now created a new dmx chain, and the last device needs to be terminated.

if you're using wireless.
each express that receives the wireless connection is starting a new dmx chain, so like above, if anything is connected to the DMX OUT 2 from the wireless express, the last device in that chain needs to be terminated.

for example, if you have 100 Expresses all receiving their signal via wireless, and each one has a SSR4 attched via the DMX OUT2.   all 100 SSR4's would need terminated.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, »
break out the rotten tomatoes, but I didn't terminate my final LEs. None of them. The only thing in my 5 universe display that is terminated are the four Smart String controllers. I realized it after 2 days of flawless operation and haven't bothered to open the cases. RS485 is a LOT more tolerant than it gets credit for. Bad wire and short circuits - they will kill RS485 signals.

Offline urthegman

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, »
So if I decided to attach an Aether II to Controller 7 from above, then the controller would NOT have to be terminated but the Aether II would?

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
So if I decided to attach an Aether II to Controller 7 from above, then the controller would NOT have to be terminated but the Aether II would?

yes, you would pull on the jumper to terminate, and then flip the switch to terminate the aether II

Offline UncleBuck

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, »
So I have 9 LE's but I haven't terminated the last one in the chain and everything is working fine. If I keep it that way will it create problems in the future? I hate to change anything after 13 days of error free shows.  :-\

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, »
So I have 9 LE's but I haven't terminated the last one in the chain and everything is working fine. If I keep it that way will it create problems in the future? I hate to change anything after 13 days of error free shows.  :-\

It will continue to run just fine.

Offline ChristmasattheY

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, »
There is no rule that says if you don't terminate it wont work.  All terminating will do for you is give you one less place to check when something goes wrong.  It's just one of the best pracice thing that should be done.

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, »

Offline bassmants

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, »
you always terminate the last item in a dmx chain.

if you have a cable leading out to another device from an aether II's, mr16, freestyle, ssr4, or the DMX OUT1 of an express, then you don't terminate.
if you don't have a cable leaving this device to go to another device, then you terminate.

if you use a dmx splitter to split the signal, or the DMX OUT2 from an express, you just now created a new dmx chain, and the last device needs to be terminated.

if you're using wireless.
each express that receives the wireless connection is starting a new dmx chain, so like above, if anything is connected to the DMX OUT 2 from the wireless express, the last device in that chain needs to be terminated.

So if all of my expresses are wireless and nothing is plugged into them...do they need to all be terminated?

for example, if you have 100 Expresses all receiving their signal via wireless, and each one has a SSR4 attched via the DMX OUT2.   all 100 SSR4's would need terminated.

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, »
The Lynx Express board needs the following changes for the Wireless Receiver to work properly:
LE ver 2.0: Remove the RS-485 chip
LE ver 3.0: Remove the RS-485 chip on the right side of the DMX IN RJ485 connector
LE ver 4.0: Remove the jumper labeled "Remove for Wireless" to enable wireless mode
LE ver 5.0: Remove the jumper labeled "Remove for Wireless" to enable wireless mode

it doesn't mention anything about termination. I don't think it matters either way since nothing is plugged into the dmx out 2 port, and the dmx out port doesn't work in wireless mode.

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2012, »
Holy cow. I didnt terminate anythinv either.. could this be causing my lights ro come on after the show goes off?
Its the most wonderful time of the year.

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2012, »
when your show is done, you still need the dongle to be powered.   the devices are still receiving a dmx signal even when the show's done.   the dongle sends the last information repeatedly until it get new information.

so when the show is done, and the lights are off, the powered dongle is still sending 0's to the devices.

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2012, »
I always turn everything off, even the puter because the lights end up coming on. Maybe not the last controller but the signal must be reflected back thru the cat5 to where ever it stops...i guess...
Its the most wonderful time of the year.