Author Topic: Using strings to form a video screen  (Read 2667 times)

Offline otto

Using strings to form a video screen
« on: December 09, 2012, »
Hi Guys,

Looking ahead to xmas lights 2013, is it possible to use SS to form a video screen?
And if so, whats the software to use?

Regards

Otto

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: Using strings to form a video screen
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, »
IMHO it would be too costly to use for a video screen.  figure out what pixel density you would want and start pricing.  A video projector would probably be cheaper.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline gatorengineer

• Facebook link
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, »
There's no probably about it, project would be MUCH cheaper and way easier.  Just think, you would be starting from scratch on how to make a picture.  It would be like reinventing the wheel.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, »
a projector also has more colors.

rgb pixels are limited in the color output.   (you can't make brown)
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline sielbear

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, »
What are you trying to accomplish?

I made a matrix (which is a low res video screen) formed into a megatree. Really cool / fun to use in the show. I have both patterns and pictures scroll across during the show.

If you apply some gamma correction, you can make just about any color. I have a tan color in my business logo and I'm displaying that almost perfectly. All depends on what you need to accomplish.

Offline urthegman

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, »
thebaronn over at LSP did this here is a link to his post about it, there is a video on post #5: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline otto

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, »
Thanks for the reply's.
I was going to be building a SS Mega tree and having a very high count of SS strings on it. I am going to be using the Nutcracker Site for some spiral effects and Gifs etc. but would be nice to be able to add a bit of video.
Its just a thought at the moment, may be not possible. But hey, programming spirals effects into a Mega tree was a nightmare until Nutcracker came along, so may be in the near future there may be some software available to do this? After all the hardware is ahead of the software.

Offline injury

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, »
You can use nutcracker with animated gifs.

Offline sielbear

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, »
I did this exact thing this year. I now have pics of the grinch moving across my megatree. It works wonderfully, especially with lsp and their transition capability. I did my entire show with video.

I'll try to update the videos by Thursday on the site so you can see my grinch, etc.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Go to pics and vids, then 2012 videos. Feel so close or sugar plum fairy are probably 2 decent examples of the video jumbotrontree...

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, »
Pixels this year are $0.40 each.

By the time you add ssc's, hub, power supply, cables you are prob near one dollar each.
The LOR ccr's are around $5 each. Our hobby helps.

A very small resolution of 100x100 would therefore cost you $10,000

On the more common resolutions people make, something like 32x42  would be around $1,400.
More in the budget range.

Animated gifs and other effects work, display a video, not so much
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, »
My plan for next year is a video wall, 24 horizontal by up to 40 vertical (and I reserve the right to change that depending on my wife's intervention).

It will be well over $1000, but I already have a lot of what I need except for the pixels. My intent is to use PVC square tubes. I also plan to use one controller per tube. Personal preference. It will probably take 6 of the 8 universes Pixelnet gives me. If I need DMX, there will be at least 2 Active Hubs. Nutcracker will figure heavily in the programming and influence some of my layout decisions.

I don't think I'll use Flex strips, though. That was my original plan, but I'm using the metal squares this year and they are extremely easy to work with and their distance between pixels is good "as is" but can be moved closer to fit the required length. Their sticky pads hold very well also.

Being mounted on PVC tubes, they will be relatively portable, though long, and I have a good storage area that will keep them flat and undamaged.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, by JonB256 »

Offline tbone321

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, »
Not to burst any bubbles but as you should know, the relay for life event is probably considered as a commercial use of the product and Lynks equipment is not allowed to be used for that purpose. 
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, by tbone321 »
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, »
I agree with tbone321 you agree not to use Lynx hardware in any commercial setting.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, »
what makes it a "commercial" event is that it now creates a liability if something goes wrong. The devices are not UL listed, and the build manual of each piece of equipment is listed for education purposes only.

there's been among others, community theatre, public park, churches, and other public venues where RJ has mentioned that it is not allowed.

There are devices out there that you can buy already made that control the strings. But you'd have to go to another site for that.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, »
Jon you can argue over words all you want to but if RJ decides you are in violation of the rules he can and will ban you from the site along with take legal action. Its important to remember that the Lynx hardware is Not UL rated and using the boards in a public area you are creating a legal problem for yourself along with RJ and this site.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required